Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 who rightfully killed this deer >

who rightfully killed this deer

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

who rightfully killed this deer

Old 11-28-2004, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: who rightfully killed this deer

thanks motown and hillbilly for some good answers. good luck with the hunting.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

I think the first guy should get the deer. Neither should get credit for a bad shot. my dad always told me.. make the first shot count.. in the legs doesn't count to hard.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:07 PM

Not to keep kicking the horse but I wouldn't want any credit for Swiss cheezing the deer. I want credit when I make a good clean kill.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

im sure you would if it was big.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Not to keep kicking the horse but I wouldn't want any credit for Swiss cheezing the deer. I want credit when I make a good clean kill.
I agree with that.

And the running shot might be ok for a seasoned hunter and

has a shot enaugh to make a running shot.

But not a beginer they haven't shot enaugh to make a 100 yard running shot.

I have shot a lot in my 45 years and I am not sure if I would try to shot at one

Running at 100 yards.

But if you are sure of the shot and have shot enaugh to be a good shot I gues it would be ok.

well theres my 2 cents.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:30 PM

well, bad shots happen. but i woudl say the guy who made the first shot to the vitals gets the deer. based on what i could interpret from your choppy writing, i would have to say the guy that shot the deer below the spine made the first lethal shot. sure, the deer may die of two broken legs, but thats not a killing shot.

Ill use this example(just a figment of my imagination): John shoots at a monster buck. he grazes the belly. he makes it bleed, but it isn't lethal. Then the deer runs past joe, who puts one in the boiler room. Why should John get the deer if he hit the thing first? joe put the thing down. Thats my reasoning behind it. if you're the first hunter to shoot it in a killing area, the deer's yours. leg wounds and stuff of that sort don't count. First blood doesn't matter. that deer could go to the next county and back. 1st LETHAL shot in my book.

And as far as shooting the deer like that, i guess i dont know what to say. if you can't make a kill shot, dont take it. hitting it in the butt? sure, it happens. but when the deer is already shot to pieces, i dont think that's such a great idea. 100 yard running shot? depends on the shooter. depending how hard the deer is moving, i might take the shot with my rifle. i wouldn't be as confident with a shotgun. i've shot moving deer out to 250 yards, and the only reason i would do it is if the deer was wounded and i wanted to put it down for keeps.it's not something i'd want to take all the time.

slayer
Old 11-29-2004, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Target practice and shot selection. Two catchy phrases your friends might want to keep in mind.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:14 AM

ITA w/Firehawk!!!

I was just talking about this with Shane, we were discussing hunters who never take their guns to the range before season opens, they just take it out to the stand and hope to hell it works and their aim is good...

It is ALWAYS a good thing to practice, you can never bee TOO good to shoot, the more practice, the more chances you won't have this problem of "who's deer is it?".

I'd say whomever had the kill shot is the one who gets the deer.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think that these hunters have probably received enough grief. who can say what their range schedule was before season. maybe they do practice. it sounds like they're going to have it mounted so maybe it was the first big deer that they ever saw in the woods and they got shaky or excited or something. Anyway, I'm sure most of us that have had a lot of opportunities throughout our hunting careers, have made a bad decision on a rare occasion--Its part of the learning process. these guys sound like young-uns so lets be a little more understanding and a little less condescending--I submit that anyone that hasn't made a mistake--has not had enough chances yet.
hb
Old 11-29-2004, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

the deer goes to the one who put in the FIRST FATAL SHOT. 2 leg hits don't kill a deer.

ditto the others on the ethics of a running100 yard shot and practice.

Quick Reply: who rightfully killed this deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.