HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Waiting 30min (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/80622-waiting-30min.html)

KonaBoy 11-27-2004 07:58 PM

Waiting 30min

I know that after you shoot a deer and it runs away, you're supposed to wait at least 30min, but if it drops instantly, do you walk up to it??????

Canadian Bush Wacker 11-27-2004 08:19 PM

RE: Waiting 30min

If you do, do it slowly and from behind and be ready, watch the ribs for movement of breath and if the eyes are closed it's not dead.

Mike01 11-27-2004 08:33 PM

Well theres no real harm in waiting. I had shot my first deer and dropped him right away. He was dead as soon as he fell but I waited around 5 minutes to make sure. Theres no real harm in waiting if their on the ground. If you do approach just make sure you come in from behind it and poke it first to make sure it's dead

Cloudwalker 11-27-2004 08:41 PM

I shot the biggest deer of my life this year (an 8 pointer, 23" wide and heavy). I think I beat the bullet to the deer:D

BROWNING.308 11-27-2004 10:48 PM

shoot it in the neck...fall over likke a ton of bricks..instant death

Deleted User 11-28-2004 12:29 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

cardeer 11-28-2004 12:31 AM

It depends on the reaction of the deer when you hit it.You can tell usually if it was a good hit.If it runs away Always watch it till it dissappears in the brush.Mark that spot in your mind. I usually go right to it. Around my area if you wait to long someone else will take it. If it drops insight I wait for it to stop twitching.

trailer 11-29-2004 05:47 AM

I always wait a little while. Last thing I need is for that deer to get up full of adrenaline and go for miles. They will go far if they are pushed....

sharptail 11-29-2004 07:26 AM

I would wait for good 20 to 30 minutes however get out of your stand and mark the exact spot he or she went in the woods get a jump on the track right away. i have seen too many say i hit that one hard it was right over by that bush. half hour later you go to that bush not a fresh track or spot of blood funny how things change when it gets a half hour darker.

:)SNOW ON THE FLOOR RULES[8D]

Georgetownboys 11-29-2004 09:45 AM

Be careful. . .I shot a 200LB pig last week and while the shot broke his back and knocked him out he woke up about 3 minutes after the shot, while he could not go anywhere he did make quite a racket. Had just taken a small buck while walking to my blind then took the pig near feeder. . . .had only one round left so I did not wish to use it up on a downed pig. . .had to finish him off with a knife so he would shut up and let me finish the afternnon hunt. Good afternooon hunt but that buck I shot was just a spike. :(