Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

best deer gun ?

Old 12-06-2004, 08:54 PM

Default RE: best deer gun ?

ORIGINAL: BROWNING.308
. shot a deer with my 308 last week and looks like a cannon hit the front shoulder

sounds like one too- kaahwhommmm-------

no other 44mag fans for close up??---i have a ruger carbine that i love--- --onebullet
what about the best hand gun ??
Old 12-07-2004, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BROWNING.308

zerx i think u the one that doesent know anything. a 30. cal rifle has way more hitting power then a pea shooter of a 243. were always talkin about ethical kills i wouldnt say a 243. kills a deer ethical my uncle shot manys of deer with a 243 and and most the time the bullti just goes clean threw because its so small and goes too fast u should read up more on this b4 go critizisig slayer he right the 308 and 30-06 are real guns. shot a deer with my 308 last week and looks like a cannon hit the front shoulder

think b4 u speak zerx

Where do you guys come up with this stuff "goes too fast, goes clean through" Buwahahahahah !
You guys really need to educate yourselfs. Let me say it one more time. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS KNOCK-DOWN POWER.
energy is a mathmatical equasion derived from weight and speed. It does not reflect on bullet penetration or tissue damage or how fast it kills a deer.
Look I'm not knocking any of the guns mentioned they are all great guns, but when someone says something they no very little about I just have to step in. We were taliking about long range shooting and the .243 has better characteristics than most non magnum caliber guns. I just posted the ballistics and still you want to argue. With the Federal 100 gr BT it is a faltter shooter. less subceptible to wind drift and has more velocity. Velocity is what kills fast and cleanly not energy. Velocity will mushroom a bullet and do tissue damage, the bigger the bullet and the faster it goes the more tissue damage. thats why magnums are awsome, they shoot big lead at extreme velocity's way down range. Velocity velocity velocity. say it with me. VELOCITY.
PS. yes my .243 does go clean through deer , demolishing the internals. My son took three animals this past weekend one dropped the other 2 went 20 yd-25 yds max. When you skin them it looks like they were hit by a truck. This happens on all high caliber guns. not just limitied to your .308.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

We seem to have lost the original intent of this thread. We were asked for suggestions for the "best deer gun." Since I don't believe any ONE answer will work we should narrow the search a little. Please answer these questions.

1) What type of terrain do you hunt in? Hilly, flat, wooded, fields, mixed?
2) What type of weapons are legal where you hunt? (I presume rifles are legal from your post)
3) How big are the deer, on average, where you hunt?
4) How far will you be shooting, on average?
5) How much do you practice?
6) How big are you?
7) What level of recoil are you comfortable with?
8) How heavy of a gun do you want to carry?
9) Do you have a preference for action types? Lever, bolt, semi-auto?
10) How much are you willing to spend?

Answer these questions and we may be able to make some INTELLIGENT, informed suggestions.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow... Talondale said it all in his post. The best gun is really the best gun for your given situation.

Me? My rifle is a lever action Marlin 30-30. I hunt the thick stuff, brush, thickets, briars, swamps, and only out to about 100 yards at max.

Here's my setup (for whatever its worth....)

Bow: 10-40 yards (even closer if given the chance).
Shotgun: #00 Buck or rifled slugs, up to 50 yards.
30-30 Rifle: anything up to 100 yards is great (maybe 150... maybe)

Butch A.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Talondale. Myself and others ventured into this thread for some meaningfull,Intelligent suggestions.

Lets stop raggin on each other and Get er Done on the topic at hand so I don't have to lock this thread!!

Maybe we should keep the range to 150 -350 yrds for weapons of choice(Deer). Any Deer deer shot/killed in excess of 350 yrds gets you a Thata Boy.

Lets stay on Topic

Thanks - AL
Old 12-07-2004, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

While we are at it I have a question for you number crunchers. I'm looking to buy a new rifle myself. Right now I have a Win. Model 96 30-30 that was given to me by my Grandfather when I graduated from high school 20 years ago. I love the gun for obvious reasons but I can't do a top mount scope on it and would like to get a scope mounted gun. Most of what I do is short range stuff, < 100 yards, although 150-200 yard shots are possible in the rare instance. I want a good bolt action that will be able to go up to elk (since they are now legal game in western VA) without abusing my shoulder and has readily available OTC ammo in a range of loads. I was thinking about a Rem. 700 BDL SS in 30.06 since that caliber has a huge range of loads and can get 'er done. I saw someone mention .270 on elk earlier, I think. Is that a sufficient (meaning with overkill power) gun for elk?
Old 12-07-2004, 09:43 AM

no such thing as knockdown power okay then, how about the diiference between a 32 cal bullet shot at a hopped up meth head, verses a say 45cal, and all you vets can help me with this -- A 45 has more stop em dead in their tracks knock down power, get hit in the head with a small rock then have someone throw a 3/4 inch rock and see which one KNOCKS YOU DOWN better. a 22 will kill a deer but it wont knock him down,
------------------------------------------------------------
TALONDALE- tried but couldnt say it as good as you did, ya hit it on the head,good job, too many variables for one gun...
--------------------------------------------------------------
love my 44 and its- knockdown power
Old 12-07-2004, 03:11 PM

ya can drop a deer in its tracks with any caliber..22 to 300win mag all u need is a good neck shot. they wont even take a step.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:40 PM

I just baught a Kimber 207WSM with a ziess scope, and a browning 270wsm, the Browning is so far superior to the Kimber it makes me sick. Normally I use a 7mm08 with ballistic tips 120 grain, now this caliber FLATTENS EM. Caribou at 500 yards no problem. Love MY Remington MNT 700
Old 12-07-2004, 03:46 PM

Its al about ENERGY. the further the distance the less energy there is. of coarse a close shot with a 45 will Knok em down, but we unfortunately dont get these close shots when deer hunting. The lighter the bullet the less energy there is but greater killing distance, and the heavier the bullet the more energy but decreased killing distance. I have found with hand loading you can pick and choose your loads.

Quick Reply: best deer gun ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.