Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

best deer gun ?

Old 11-26-2004, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: best deer gun ?

ORIGINAL: Hiawatha

400 yard shots on squirrels? Thanks i needed some more humour in my day.
he he. My thoughts as well.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Probably not too much left of a tree rat shot with a 243. How many does it take to make a meal, 60?
Old 11-26-2004, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

buckmaster if your so proficent with a borrowed .243 why would you even consider a different cartridge? I find it equally funny you would come here to ask us subpar hunter/marksmen our opinion. Please spare us the ridicule next time...Thanks!
Old 11-26-2004, 05:38 PM

Not here to recommend anything. But just to say that I use 3 deer rifles;
My first was a Marlin in 35 Rem. Next I found a Revelation bolt action in 30-30 (made by Savage, a store brand for Western Auto.) And then I have a Rem. 700 in .35 Whelan. As I reload I can adjust according what/where i hunt. I like to use all, but when I get serious, I grab the Whelan.

Russ
Old 11-26-2004, 07:04 PM

7mm-08, i forgot about that one. a couple guys in our group have started shooting them. my younger cousin is a small framed kid and has a model 7 youth in 7mm-08 and absolutely dropped the hammer ona doe with it today. very good cartridge IMHO. im still sticking with my time tested .270 or the .30-06. both are older than methusda, but they still are at the top.

slayer
Old 11-26-2004, 07:15 PM

hey russ i thought i was the only one out there with a rev. i really like the one i have i got it from my dad the hard way.Just holding it makes a tear come to my eye.

Old 11-27-2004, 05:13 PM

I'm not the expert so like you, I asked many, many experienced hunters and sites like this. .270 kept coming up more than any other so I got my sons and I each one. Ruger, Remington, and Winchester. Can't tell the difference between makes. We love them and have taken deer and elk every season since. Longest for us was an antelope at 350 yds (paced it off afterwards), but we know they are effective even further.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:11 PM

Hmm...where to start?

Anyone taking five-hundred yard shots had better be spending weekly time on a 200+ yard range. It takes a hell of a shooter to put 5/5 in the black even at 200 yards...300 yards all the more and ranges that can accomodate 300 yards are rare. Factoring in 38 inches of bullet drop?...sigh...

500 yards with a .243? I'm afraid I can't recommend and would be embarrassed to admit it if I were to actually try such a shot and to pull it off. Truth be told, I couldn't smile about anyone taking 500+ yard shots regardless of caliber, quarry, or success...

Such a boast hardly makes a case for any caliber, much less a .243

But I understand your fondness for the caliber, I've taken at least four bucks with a 6mm including a monster Mulie...but it wouldn't be in my top 3 choices.

By the way...grats on the shot of a lifetime (no sarcasm intended).
Old 11-27-2004, 08:15 PM

You have got to be kidding me 500 yards with a 243?? That would be a lottery shot. The scope for that yardage to make shot placement just right for the downward angle and to make sure about the sex of the deer it the season is buck or doe is kind of riskie,lol. The scope would have to be worth more than the gun and likely just as big,lol. Maybe could be done bench shooting but if it's sited in for that, but then if something was 50 yards would shot five feet below a deer or just aim at your foot.

I will stick with my 308 savage 99c lever, with 150 gr. I have taken deer as far as 250 yards, open sites. I have taken too deer to count over my years with this gun. The thing to do, is what ever gun you buy, you buy for a reason, stay with the same gun, love it , treat it well, practice with it , be come one with it and you will become a team, and it all falls into place after that
Old 11-27-2004, 09:06 PM

I'm hearing many of you doubting the ability of the .243 out to 500 yards. I don't know if this guy was telling the truth or not but if he's not, it's his lie let him tell it as big as he wants to. I have a Remington Varmint Special in .308 and I can stick 3.5" groups at 600 yards with it topped with a Leopold 3.5-10X40mm scope. I also have killed numerous and I mean numerous deer over 400 yards with a .270 and one at 460 yards with a 7mm. I have 2 witnesses on 3 shots over 425 yards. Oh, I dropped all but one on the spot including the one at 460 yds. I'm not trying to start an arguement or brag but if the guy says he got one at 500 yards I'll at least give him the benefit of the doubt.

PS: I've missed deer at 90 yards.........standing broad side

Quick Reply: best deer gun ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.