Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

DNR

Old 11-24-2004, 06:25 PM

Default DNR

Can a DNR officer go onto private land without a warrent or anything? Or what are the rules or whatever as far as DNR officers go?
Old 11-24-2004, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: DNR

Not sure where you hail from so I would check with the local wildlife act or DNR. Here they can check a hunting party on private or public land/roads but they can not go into a private residence, outbuilding, etc without a warrant. In fact they must ask to look in the vehicle(cab/truckbox/trunk/etc) the owner can refuse then they must get a warrant to continue the search.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

In our area a wildlife officer has more authority than any other law officer. If he has reasonable suspicion, he can even go into your house without a warrant. He can search anything in your vehicle.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes they can
Old 11-24-2004, 07:22 PM

From what I know the DNR can do just about anything. In fact I know they can pull you over and check your vehicle without your permission. One of these years they will get challenged in court and lose big time. They constantly push their boundries.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

In some states they have more power than the Feds. I hunt a heavily gated private farm. If warden has sufficient reason to believe your breakin game laws such as a gun being discharged 1 hr after dark or sees you not wearing your blaze orange etc.. don't bet he can't enter that property. Moral of story is don't give them a reason.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:09 PM

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

In our area a wildlife officer has more authority than any other law officer. If he has reasonable suspicion, he can even go into your house without a warrant. He can search anything in your vehicle.
It is the same here. They are the law.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Bingo folks....They are the law here in WV too. My understanding is that they have more jurisdiction (sp) than any other LEO. Sad fact is that we have to few of them to do the job.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:43 PM

It used to be that way in Minnesota, where they could do pretty much whatever they pleased, but now that got changed and they have the same or maybe less power then a normal cop.

About asking permission to look into a vehicle, my cousin is a cop, and he said that they can look into vehicles as long as they dont break the thresh hold of the vehcile, so they can look into the bed of a truck, or through any windows.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

In pa they do what they want,even steal my deer antlers off my wall on the outside

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.