Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Have my deer disappeared??

Old 11-24-2004, 04:59 PM

Default Have my deer disappeared??

Help me out guys, I'm new to deer hunting.

This is the first time of hunting on land that we bought last year. Always wanted to deer hunt but never had a place. Now I do.

This land was leased in the prior decades and many fine bucks have been taken. All year, I have seen numerous tracks and other sign of lots of deer. I put up a tube feeder back in August and have kept it full. The deer have been hittin it good.

Well, the evening before our season opened, I sat in the 16' tripod stand that I had bought and watched 3 does and a buck in the area I'm planning to hunt. Figured this would be way easy.

Here's the problem. I have not seen a single deer since then! I've been working day shift so my hunting has been limited to evenings since opening day. I've been gettin in the stand by 4pm and stayin till I can't see. Nothin! That is except for one coyote that I didn't shoot, figured it would spook the deer.

I don't think the deer are scenting me, the wind has been out of the north or south, my field of fire is east of me.

What's the deal? These dear have a calender or what? I went out this afternoon and did some scouting. All the places that I've always seen deer tracks, there is nothing fresh. Nothing.

I start some days off Friday so I'll have an opportunity to be out before daylight, hoping to see SOMETHING.........

We've had some crazy weather here in central Oklahoma. Unusually warm and an excess of rain. Could this be the cause?

Gimme some pointers folks, I'm gettin frustrated!
Old 11-24-2004, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Have my deer disappeared??

last year I saw (killed) all my deer in the evening, this season they have been moving early in the morning. so you aren't alone in this one
Old 11-24-2004, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

If this is your first year of deer hunting of any kind I,m not surprised that your not seing deer. There is a ton to learn about deer. My guess would be your not set up in a good place to see the deer. Are you sure no one else is on your land when your not there? Maybe describe your area your set up in. Are you next to a beding area, or by a feed feild. How many acres. Lots of woods? Talk a little more about it and maybe me or someone can help.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:56 PM

What's the deal? These dear have a calender or what?
Sort of, when the shooting starts, they go nocturnal.

I've been gettin in the stand by 4pm and stayin till I can't see. Nothin!
Might be too late in the day. that's a great time to be sitting, not moving to a stand.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:32 PM

Thanks for replies, here's more info.

The land is 80 acres in size. I set up my stand on the edge a clearing approx 5 acres in size. My stand is on the west side, facing east. The wind normally blows from the north (today) or south (past days).

I have cattle on the front 40 so I'm actually hunting on the north 40. It's partially wooded with a few clearings as described.

I am trying to do everything that I've read on here, sitting motionless for hours.... feeling my runny nose drip into my mustache because I don't wanna sniff.......... all the good stuff [8D]

I haven't done anything about scent other than to rub myself with cedar. But, like I said, the deer that I did see, came from the east side of the clearing.

Something I was wondering about is the burlap camo skirt I wrapped around the top of my stand. I put it up with the stand about a month and a half ago. Well, when the wind blows, the burlap moves around and flaps sometimes. Do they get used to that since it's been there a while or do I need to secure it from moving?

I feel like the deer are there in the brush. I've heard a few grunts and some rustling. They're either bedded in there bacause of the weather or because they dont wanna let an amateur shoot 'em. I walked through one of the wooded areas a few days ago to check a fence that was cut by renegade hunters last year. I wanted to make sure they hadn't returned this year. I spooked a big one!! Didn't see him but his tracks were huge!!

Fire away with more questions/comments, I appreciate the replies!
Old 11-24-2004, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Diamond B Ranch
I have a friend who has never hunted. He has nothing against hunting, he just never has hunted. He can't understand how I have hunted pretty hard since the season opened Nov. 6, and I haven't killed a deer until this last friday. I guess he just thinks you go shoot one at will. If that was the case they wouldn't call it hunting.

There are a lot of factors that go into hunting. Some years I feel pretty smart, and some years like this one I feel like I have done a lot of things wrong. I have learned that one of the greatest virtues to have as a deer hunter is patience.

Right now, down here in South Texas, the acorns are falling big time. I changed my whole outlook this last friday, and set up in the best oak flat I knew of close to some heavy cover. I also hunt over corn, but with these huge white oak acorns falling out of the trees like big rocks, I don't think the deer are too interested in the corn.

I personally have more luck hunting in the morning. I like to walk in just as the sun starts to crack the horizon. I like to sit there until at least noon, and there have been a lot of days I sat all day. I killed the deer friday at 11:10 A.M.

I have found it is good to have as many stand sites as possible, so I don't burn out one area. Also it makes it easier to play the wind better.

I think if you had a camera at your corn, you would get some pretty cool pictures at night.

C. Davis
Old 11-24-2004, 07:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree that it sounds like the deer are feeding on a food source they prefer over corn. Soon as the acorns are gone (there is a bunch of them in our area this year) the deer will return to the feeders. Locate a good oak thicket, they are probably feeding there right now.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:19 PM

Wanted to add somethin here.........

My land is covered with post oaks loaded with acorns, pecan trees and plenty of persimmons. The deer can eat anywhere they want so I can't narrow them down to traveling to a specific area. Also, with the excess rain we've had, they can drink anywhere too.

Also, the skies have now cleared for a couple days and the 3/4 moon is bright. The deer will probably feed at night if what I've read is accurate.

C. Davis,

I agree, a camera would be great! Wish I had one........
Old 11-24-2004, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

it seems like since you only have after 4pm to hunt that it would be hard to plan something much different then to get back in that one stand every evening but maybe that is something you should consider. If there is another vantage point that looks over something a little different it may be worth a try. Also, you said your property is 80 acres--that is fairly small so you want to be careful and not spook any off your property on to your neighbors as much as possible--they' still move-- and monitor what your neighbors are doing (huntingwise) and if you see a lot of activity on a particular side, get at a place you can intercept. walk your fenclines and look where the deer have made holes or the fence is down--those will be very good spots to watch--don't sit up on the trail--back off as far as you comfortable or be able to watch a couple of spots--corners are good.. Next year get those damn cows out of there (if possible) an put natural food plots up. good luck
hb
Old 11-25-2004, 05:59 AM

Once again, thanks for the replies!

To my knowledge, there is no one hunting any of the land surrounding me and I'm afraid the deer moved on me and there's no pressure to push em back. I start days off Friday so I'll be out before first light for the next 3 mornings and hopefully big boy will present himself.

I can't rid of the cows man, they're worth alot more money than the deer!

Thanks for all the replies, I'll keep checking this thread and keep everyone updated. Especially if I get a deer!

HAPPY THANKGIVING!

Quick Reply: Have my deer disappeared??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.