Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your Thoughts???

Old 11-23-2004, 06:29 PM

Default Your Thoughts???

Last weekend while me and my cousin were hunting we had 3 doe sneek up behind us.The bigger doe new we where their.She would check on us quite often but she often would wave her tell and point her head to the ground.Then she realized she did'nt like what she saw so they ran maybe 15ft and stopped again.My cousin took a shot and missed.Would it be a bad idea to hunt that stand again next weekend?It's a permanent stand and it's the only one I have at the moment.If it's unlikely they'll be back I may try to hunt on the ground.

Any help or advise would be great.I'm a beginner and i'm still learning so bare with me guys.

Thanks,

JE
Old 11-23-2004, 06:43 PM

Default RE: Your Thoughts???

I would. I sat in a stand and missed twice with my bow in the same day. Went back the next morning and several deer passed through. Good luck
Old 11-23-2004, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

ive shot deer and missed deer and had more come by no less then 10 minutes later. where i hunt me and my brother where hunting over a field and no less then 400 yards apart and visible and all and he shot twice and right at the same time a deer was just walking right by me uneffected. the weekend before i shot a doe went down cleaned it got in my treestand and saw one of my biggest bucks hours later
Old 11-24-2004, 09:02 AM

sometimes deer will amaze u by what they will do and what they wont do. and one of them things is that a deer doesnt necessarily spook out of the country because they spot u or get wind of u and run off...they could perhaps come right back thru by u just out of curiosity...or just happened to have forgot bout it an come back thru minutes later. so i would say its safe to hunt it nex tweekend...plenty of time for the deer to forget about sensing ur presence.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't be suprised if the ol'girl comes back and checks you out.Even if she blows don't leave.You may see other deer just a little later.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:15 AM

Thanks for all the replies.You guys are great.I'll try it again this weekend,hopefully a buck will walk through for me.
Thanks agin,
JE
Old 11-24-2004, 02:30 PM

You bet I would hunt that stand again. Last season I shot a doe and it dropped in it's tracks so I stayed in the stand since I knew where it was. It wasn't 20 minutes later that a second one came right to the same spot, sniffed the dead deer and started grazing. I shot it in the exact same spot as the first one. The only thing that would have made it better is if it didn't run and would have dropped in the same spot. It ran about 20 yards and then dropped. That would have been a picture though, two deer stacked like wood! I would have definately gone to the truck for the camera if that would have happened!
Old 11-24-2004, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

i have missed a deer one day, come back and shoot a different deer the very next day, although your chances of shooting the same deer you saw that night are very rare, many deer will travel that route, paths arent made by just a few deer, it takes a good amount of deer to make that trail. its good to see that you ask questions, i too used to be in your exact position, its good to ask questions.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:19 PM

Yes id definitely hunt the area especially a week later,, the deer will be there again,, but i wouldnt sit the stand again,, id try to get another stand, or sit on the ground a little ways away. You said the doe knew you were there, and it was a permanent stand, she has most likely seen someone there before, and will probably always watch the stand, and who knows how many other deer have seen a person there too. So find another spot to sit where you can still see the area well,, and give it a shot, good luck.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:33 PM

Sounds good.Thanks for all the help fellas.
JE

Quick Reply: Your Thoughts???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.