Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tagging your harvest

Old 11-23-2004, 01:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tagging your harvest

I have run into 3 older gentlemen and already know a couple more that dont tag or call in there harvest or tag it but dont call it in they seem to say "when you get to be my age you dont bother with those things" and laugh like im stupid for even mentioning it to them. I thought that the system was so that the DEC could get a more accurate number of how big the deer population is for the next year. It seems to me that people like that are just going to eventually ruin hunting for the rest of us further down the road. just my opinion.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Tagging your harvest

True it is important,but the same around here.alot dont send them in. Some do and lie they got one and some buy doe tags and burn them.Takes all kinds
Old 11-23-2004, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not tagging or reporting or whatever else might be required is the same as poaching as far as I am concerned, drop a dime on them and see if the Judge agrees with their point of view.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here a harvested animal must be tagged before being transported, failure to do so can result in anything from improper tagging to poaching which carry fines, loss of hunting privs and equipment. You run into a Co without a tag on/notched you better be ready to hand everything over, cause the my age thing wouldn't cut the mustard! That saidIi have chatted with some old timers that said "in my day we didn't need a tag, we just hunted...why should I buy one now, it is just a tax grab?" Well it maybe but the law is the law and I realize an old dogs is tough to teach new tricks so I say my peace and continue on the way I feel I should. Basically you done right bruizer..CUDOS!!!

We do not have to record or call in a harvest though, a big game survey is sent out via mail for input but they view it with suspect. Like cardeer said some guys answer it honestly, while others answer it dishonestly and many more simply trash it. The DNR have other ways to check population in corelation with what hunters may provide. I believe info past back is good and do my part even if not required.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Unless it is on a management area, in Alabama and Florida there is no requirement on a tag. No tags to tag, just take it home and dress it.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:07 PM

Here in Missouri... you must tag Deer and Turkey immediately! [:-]
Old 11-23-2004, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Pa. you have to tag your deer before moving it then you have to send in a harvest report card within 10 days of the kill.It's estimated that up to 50% don't send in the card-and it's even postage paid!
Old 11-24-2004, 12:44 AM

Money ruins hunting and that's what is happening! If the DNR has a shortfall in their budget they make outrages claims about the deer population to sell more tags or add additional seasons for hunting. MONEY, MONEY, MONEY!!! But one should still tag his deer no matter what!
Old 11-24-2004, 12:52 AM

Here in utah you tag it once when you kill when you start draggen it . They also have checking stations you get caght with outtaging it and you have the tag on you its poaching . But if you have to tag a animal how hard can that be to attach it please[]

later , hunter cameron
Old 11-24-2004, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree wth those who say not tagging a deer is poaching. In NH we must tag a deer (and turkey) immediately before beginning the process of dressing it out and then have it registered within 12 hrs at the nearest deer registration station. I believe those who try to talk their way around this know the difference. They either do it to keep their existing tag(s) to be used later or don't want to spend the money...either way, it's poaching. To me, there is no difference between a person that used a spotlight to jack deer and the so called hunter that deliberately refused to tag and register the deer.

Quick Reply: Tagging your harvest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.