Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunter shoots 5 dead

Old 11-23-2004, 04:01 PM

Default RE: Hunter shoots 5 dead

this ****** will never get the punishment he deserves. however i am very intrested in what they do decided, i hope it is extremely painful and a slow

I PRAY FOR THE FAMILY'S
Old 11-23-2004, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

I need a sense of humor, huh? I guess I would rather have none than one like yours. Thanks for refusing to present any facts, I didn't think you would bring anything of substance to the forum. Don't go away mad, just go away.
ORIGINAL: Targeter

Sorry, but I'm not going to appologize for saying there is a PERCEPTION that there is a bit too much drinking while hunting up there. I'm not going to do any research on a percieved notion either. A perception is just that, a perception. Its not a position arrived at through a detailed analysis. This isn't some John Kerry nuance, just ordinary use of the English language. Get a grip. And a sense of humor. And don't let me catch you posting here again - LOL!
Old 11-23-2004, 07:44 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but what does "Hmong" mean.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:48 PM

Its a race of people.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:04 PM

I don't know where some people get there information, but being apart of ems(firefighter - emt) it really irritates me when people kind of spice up the story with a few of there own words. I dispatch for an air medical organization and did send 2 helicopters to the scene of this event. Out of respect for the families lets not post here say, and wait for the facts before we all think we know what we are talking about . This post was not meant to make anybody mad, just think before we post. This story is out of a local newspaper. HAYWARD, Wis. - The man suspected in the killings of six hunters on Sunday told investigators the victims shot at him first, court records say.

According to a probable cause statement filed midday Tuesday, Chai Vang, 36, told investigators he was shot at first after some of the victims called him racially derogatory names.

Although he was not officially charged, Vang is being held on probable cause of six counts of first-degree intentional homicide and two counts of attempted first-degree intentional homicide. A cash bond of $2.5 million was also set.

The shootings happened Sunday on 400 acres of private land in the southwestern corner of Sawyer County, Wis. Killed were property owner Robert Crotteau, 42; his son Joey, 20; Al Laski, 43; Mark Roidt, 28; and Jessica Willers, 27. The victims were in a group of 14 or 15 people who made their opening-weekend trip to Crotteau's property an annual tradition.

Denny Drew, 55, of Rice Lake, died Monday at St. Joseph's Hospital in Marshfield, his family announced. Two other men were recovering from gunshot wounds.

Sawyer County Sheriff Jim Meier said a dispute over Vang's use of a hunting stand on the land preceded the gunfire.

Vang told investigators he didn't realize he was on private property when he climbed up into the tree stand, according to a statement filed in court.

The statement said that Vang told investigators that a group of people, including one man with a rifle, confronted him about leaving a tree stand on the private land. He claimed that the people were using racial slurs and swearing at him as he started to leave.

As he was walking away, Vang told investigators that he saw the man with the rifle take the weapon off his shoulder and eventually point the gun at him. He said he dropped to a crouched position, and the man fired at him, hitting the ground about 40 feet behind him.

That's when Vang told authorities he took the scope off his gun and started firing. He stated that he shot twice at the man holding the gun, dropping him to the ground. He said he continued to shoot at others as they ran to their ATVs. He also said he shot one man, believed to be Joey Crotteau, as he ran toward the cabin yelling, "help me, help me."

Vang then stated that he heard a person use a two-way radio to call for help. When he saw an ATV approaching, he said he reversed his jacket from orange to camouflage and reloaded.

Vang told investigators that he did not shoot at the ATV because the people on it were armed. But when that ATV left in less than a minute, he said a second one with two people on it arrived. Vang stated that the driver was holding a gun in one hand. He said he fired three or four shots and saw both people drop to the ground.

The victims on the ATV were believed to be Laski and Jessica Willers.

Vang was arrested about four hours later as he emerged from the woods with another hunting party.

Vang did not appear in court. His first scheduled court appearance is December 20.

Sawyer County, Wis. officials said the state attorney general's office would prosecute the case, a move that is not unusual when severe crimes committed in rural counties.

Sheriff James Meier said Vang has been cooperative with investigators -- and extremely calm. In fact, Meier says, he finds Vang's calm "frightening." He says neither his demeanor nor the shootings make sense.

Vang's relatives, who visitied the suspect briefly in jail, said they can't explain what happened.

His brother, Sang Vang, says he's a reasonable person, so perhaps he was provoked.

"I still don't believe it," the suspect's brother, Sang Vang, said. "He is one of the nicest persons. ... Maybe something provoked him or something."

Sang Van said Chai is a father of six who served in the U.S. Army.

Deu Khang, 37, who identifies herself as Vang's "cultural" wife, says she's in shock.

"We don't really know what went wrong," she said. "I don't have anything to say. I don't know what to say."

A Minnesota lawmaker who's also an immigrant from Laos says reports that cultural differences played a role in the shooting are probably wrong. In her words, "He's probably crazy."

_

News / Weather / Sports / Community / News Tips
Comments, questions or suggestions? Contact Us
5 EYEWITNESS NEWS Privacy Policy
©2004 KSTP-TV, LLC
Old 11-24-2004, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

He said he continued to shoot at others as they ran to their ATVs. He also said he shot one man, believed to be Joey Crotteau, as he ran toward the cabin yelling, "help me, help me."
I dont care what any one says, self defense or not thats freakin murder right there. he shot that poor kid in the back.

Vang then stated that he heard a person use a two-way radio to call for help. When he saw an ATV approaching, he said he reversed his jacket from orange to camouflage and reloaded.
I can understand reversing the orange to camo for concealment from a possible threat in the sense vang was defending himself, I think if i was him instead of worrying about sniping anyone else I would have been getting the heck outta there and looking for help still in the sense vang was defending himself. But what i dont understand and makes me think vang was looking for a confrontation was the part he said he reloaded.... How much ammo did this guy have on him??? when i go deer hunting i have maybe 4 or 5 rounds with me at the most.
then in another article i read vang states he wasnt gonna shoot anyone anymore and threw the rest of his ammo into a swap. once again how much ammo did this guy need if he was just deer hunting???? I think hes a nutcase and was looking for a confrontation.

Vang told investigators that he did not shoot at the ATV because the people on it were armed.
what the hell, freakin murderer he'll shoots at unarmed people trying to get away, but not shoot at armed people??????

you all just need to look at this article in the link im gonna post, goes into more detail of vangs testimony, http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/nov04/277915.asp

If i was a prosecuting attorney and heard this guys testimony. I would say ok maybe you didnt murder a few of them perhaps it was self defense at first but you took it too far and infact did murder some of them. Vang is a nut if at the least he needs to be committed to an insane assylum for long long time perhaps the rest of his life. we dont need people like that in our society.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

you all deffinately have to read this article, heres the link. http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/nov04/278124.asp
Old 11-24-2004, 04:23 AM
Typical Buck

WOW just got back. I wonder if this guy has some type of serious flashbacks!!! And MY MY never heard so many Racist comments.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:01 AM

This is a sad, sad, senseless thing to happen. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families. This man is a murderer and needs to be punished. That said let me make a correction to a previous post. A Hmong is not a race of people but rather a kind of religion. There are Hmong societies in many different countries. Please don't lump all asians into the same category. You wouldn't be able to tell by looking at me but my mother was a full blooded Thai. My father is of Italian decent and I look more like him. These forums have been very informative and for the most part friendly to this new guy. I realize that this is very upsetting and I am no way defending this bastard but lets please judge him by what he is and that's a killer, not an "asian" killer but just a killer.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:05 AM

Out of respect for the families lets not post here say, and wait for the facts before we all think we know what we are talking about .
FACT
Vang shot and killed several unarmed people who were trying to flee from him, he has admitted this fact.

Quick Reply: Hunter shoots 5 dead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.