Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunter shoots 5 dead

Old 11-23-2004, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunter shoots 5 dead

My friend and I had a run in with hmongs about 10 years ago on private property. We were bowhunting and they were squirrel hunting so they had us on fire power. We confronted them anyway because I wasn't about to let them think they could trespass. We told them to leave so they walked off only to come back 15 minutes later. We "convinced" them a second time to leave and that was the end of it. That could have gotten ugly but we were lucky.

The stereotype on these people is trespassing, hunting out of season, over the bag limit, dog stealing and dog eating. Not things that bode well with the hunting community or any law abiding citizens. In my opinion sitting in someone's stand on their proerty is the ultimate disrespect. He had absolutely no right to be there. I hope everyone keeps a level head on this but I hope the hmongs stay out of the woods for awhile to let things cool down. Most of us are stable but if they run into a vengeful hunter I doubt they make it out of the woods. There are enough "soldier of fortune" types out there to cause a rash of "missing persons" reports.

There are always two sides to the story and I am sure he felt threatened. However, if someone tells you that you are trespassing, get out. May be you aren't but it is better to let a warden decide that.

Dear (Targeter),

Mark Twain said that it is far better to let people think you were stupid than to open your mouth and prove it. Thanks for verifying the obvious for us. There was one fatality opening weekend outside of the above mentioned trajedy. The WI DNR is praising the hunters for such a safe season but you're to ignorant to see that. Please present the IL accident record so we can compare the per hunter accident rate against WI. Without even seeing it I would bet our "drunk" hunters have less accidents than your sober FIB's and they won't even let you people use rifles. Present some facts or shut the hell up. You embarassed yourself and your state with your generalizations and stereotypes. Only a poor excuse for a person would leverage off a discussion of this tragedy to make such idiotic comments. Please make your second post your last as we don't need your kind of "wisdom" here.

TBONE
Old 11-23-2004, 09:03 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-23-2004, 01:32 PM

Sorry, but I'm not going to appologize for saying there is a PERCEPTION that there is a bit too much drinking while hunting up there. I'm not going to do any research on a percieved notion either. A perception is just that, a perception. Its not a position arrived at through a detailed analysis. This isn't some John Kerry nuance, just ordinary use of the English language. Get a grip. And a sense of humor. And don't let me catch you posting here again - LOL!
Old 11-23-2004, 01:51 PM

Being from Minnesota, I can't believe I am defending Wisconsin. : ) But I do know from experience that Wisconsin hunters take their deer hunting season seriously. Yes, there may be drinking AFTER hunting hours - as there is in deer camps all over the United States - but not too many hunters I know in Wisconsin or Minnesota for that matter drink WHILE they hunt. They know the risks of doing so and don't want to spoil what many consider to be an annual holiday of sorts. Many people in Wisconsin even take off work for the entire 9 day season.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:16 PM
Spike

Targeter- I see you're new here. You've made a heckuva first impression. Wisconsinites also have perceptions of Illinois tourists who travel north, but I'd rather meet an individual myself to determine my own opinion.

Sorry, but I fail to see your lighthearted attempt at humor. I was hunting in that county on Sunday and although I was 30 miles away from the incident, I did witness a small portion of the chaos with recsue attempts. It makes me wonder what it was like at the crime scene. My heart goes out to those families. I see no humor in any attempt to put a spin on the story.

As for your perception of Wisconsin being unsafe during gun season- last year there was 1 fatality. This year, there have been 2 deaths and 2 accidents. Officials claim half of the accidents occur in the first 2 days, so they're thinking this will be a pretty safe year. Any death is unfortunate, but those stats aren't bad considering there are 650,000 hunters in the woods. Care to explain where you perceive this is such an unsafe place to hunt?
Old 11-23-2004, 03:06 PM

MY PRAYERS, AND THOUGHTS GO TO THE FAMILIES
Old 11-23-2004, 03:14 PM

I just hope those families get justice.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:15 PM
Typical Buck

bush-hogg his sorry azz....
Old 11-23-2004, 03:25 PM
Spike

Sounds like the shooter claims he was shot at first. This is in contrast to statements from a surving victim in the shooting. Regardless, the Hmong states only 1 hunter was armed.

Here's an excerpt from Today's Star Tribune on the shooter telling his story to the authorities:

"Chai Vang, the man accused of killing six Wisconsin hunters and wounding two others, has told investigators how he calmly did the killing in the woods of Sawyer County on Sunday ...

According to the documents, this is what Vang told investigators:

He was lost in the woods and climbed into an unoccupied deer stand. After about 15 minutes, another hunter came upon the scene, told Vang he was on private property and told him to leave. The man summoned his friends via radio. Others showed up, surrounded Vang and started using racial epithets.

Vang said only one of the people confronting him was armed. Vang said that as he turned to leave, he saw the man with the gun point it at him. Then, Vang said the man fired at him from about 100 feet, with the bullet hitting the ground about 30 feet behind. Vang said he knelt and fired twice. The man dropped.

Others in the group began to run, some through the woods and others to the ATVs on which they'd arrived. Vang said he fired more shots and others in the group dropped. He said he chased one man (believed to be Joey Crotteau) through the woods, firing as he ran. The man was yelling ''Help me! Help me!'' as he ran. Vang said that when he got to within about 15 feet of him, Vang fired again, and the man fell. Vang said he walked up to the man, heard him groan and then walked away."
Old 11-23-2004, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is definately a tragedy and I believe there's more to the story than what was originally reported.

For those who feel Wisconsin is nothing but a bunch of beer drinkin slob hunters who shoot at anything that moves with no hunting ethics whatsoever , stay home! We wont miss ya!

Quick Reply: Hunter shoots 5 dead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.