Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Gun trade...how did I do?

Old 11-21-2004, 06:17 PM

Default Gun trade...how did I do?

Hey all,
Today I traded a Remington Model 700 in Win. 300 Mag, near perfect condition (only ever fired like a dozen times), nice looking stock, no peep sights, no scope, for a Ruger M77 in 257 Roberts, great condition, nice stock, WITH a 3X-9X Burris fullfield scope, fully sighted in, etc. The Remington was too big a gun for the sort of deer hunting I'm doing, and my neighbor likes big guns, and I had nothing with a scope, so we traded.

Who came out on top?

-Spike Buck
Old 11-21-2004, 06:21 PM
CJW

Default RE: Gun trade...how did I do?

That depends, which one of you got the more accurate gun???

CJW
Old 11-21-2004, 06:57 PM

Hmmm, I dunno. I shot the 257 a couple times tonight (just in the back yard -- 25, and 40 yards -- not rest, just the balcony rail) and it was really accurate. I consistently hit 2 inches high at these short ranges. As for the 300 Mag, I've never actually shot it (it's actually my dad's gun), and he's only shot it like twice, and that's without any sight of any sort...so I have no clue how accurate it is. My dad bought it back in '92 and has never hunted with it, barely shot it. I'm assuming it's extremely accurate.

So which was worth more?

-Spike Buck
Old 11-21-2004, 07:49 PM

there worth in price may differ greatly but, if you shoot one better then the other, and shoot it extremely well, my opinion would be to go with one you like more. just my 2 cnts
Old 11-21-2004, 08:33 PM

This is sort of a one sided response. I'm not familiar with the Ruger M77 and I have had wonderful experiences with Remington. I have 3: two .243's one youth model seven and the other which was my dad's that I acquired after his passing. It, however, is very heavy and has sat in the gun cabinet for nearly 20 years. I've shot it several times. Never hunted with it b/c of weight. Very little recoil and deadly accurate. My third is a Model 1100 20 ga. All 3 are in EXCELLENT shape. My cousin has a Rem. .300 mag. and it is an awesome shooting rifle.

I would love to have a Rem. .300 mag. like the one you mentioned and in as well a condition that you say yours was in. Put a scope on it, sight it and you can't go wrong, unless you're hunting squirrel. That would be pretty messy.

I hope you enjoy your new find.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's easy. You both came out on top. You got what you wanted and your neighbor got what he wanted. If it were my option, I would have taken the Ruger with the scope. And since you weren't shooting the .300, there is no reason to not trade.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

300 mag ,dang always wanted one for squirrel hunting,what ever makes you happy