Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

5 Wisconsin hunters killed

Old 11-22-2004, 05:04 PM

Default RE: 5 Wisconsin hunters killed

*pinches myself* are you serious? give me a break. I've never heard of anyone going on a mass murder spree just for a hunting spot!? thats why i cant stand poachers. OMG my prayers go out to all the families out there. If the families are reading this, us real hunters are a WHOLE lot more respectful then that, people that read this forum are all apart of a big family, so dont expect to see every hunter like this. If i had a choice, i would choose to shoot his a$$ right now, i would electrify him, without putting water on him, i'd let him die slowly and painfully. Im sorry if this offends you, but i cant stand people like this
Old 11-22-2004, 05:45 PM

Outdoor Life or someone similar had an article several years ago about hunters being stalked and killed. I believe the person was caught and it was in Ohio I believe. I thought about how sad it was for the families. I believe they were killed one at a time in different areas and over a period of time. We can only think of and pray for the families of these fellow hunters left behind. I thought I had forgot about the above article but with this latest tragedy we now have another bad memory. Let's remember their families because the holiday season will be crushing for them. As for the shooter thank goodness he is in custody and didn't harm more people. More shells and I think he would have went at it with police or anyone.We'll have to see what his punishment is.I don't worry about him but if he had a wife and children he ruined their lives also.Just bad anyway you look at it.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:24 PM
Spike

I was hunting in that county on opening weekend. My in-laws have a cabin in the area. I was probably 30 miles away from the actual event where it happened. We packed up early Sunday afternoon and headed for home in central WI. Shortly upon hitting the highway we passed a couple police cars and an ambulance. Didn't think much of it. When we hit the county line, we spotted several police cars and a couple DNR wardens parked next to the highway. Ironically, we have a bear bait directly across the highway. This incident did get our attention. Something just seemed wrong.

It was another 2.5 hour drive home and I'm not kidding when I say I wasn't home for 5 minutes when my sister-in-law called from Duluth, MN asking about my whereabouts as she knew I was hunting up there. She described the events as the TV broke the news story. It really spooked me.

Lots of rumors flying around as to the events leading up to the confrontation. Unfortunately, the ending is all too real. Very sad! I'm sure there will be more details released throughout the week.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:33 PM

minnesotahunter the link you posted just took me to the members sign in log. Is there another link to the fund? I just feel like I need to do something.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:11 PM
Fork Horn

this goes out to all the families and friends of the victims. i am sure with them being a hunting family that they may read this forum. as far as the idiot that pulled the trigger, well i believe he will get his. this is something that we must always be on the look out for. you never know who you may run into and you must always be prepared to defend yourself. it is obvious that the hunting victims weren't shooting back, because i find it hard to believe that if they were 100's of yards apart when found that he could have been that good of a shot. these hunters were helpless to defend themselves and the mad man was intent on killing someone. he went postal. it is unfortunate that it happened in the realm of hunting. which is a place that you wouldn't expect as we all share the common bond. this guy could be at the front door to the local dominos pizza the next time your there. you just never know. always be leary of strangers. esspecially someone like him that was not raised up here with the same kind of values we have. let him be judged as a federal crime so as to get him the death penalty. life in prison would just not be enough of a punishment in my eye. just my 2 cents.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:13 AM

This will be in the back of every land owners mind the next time he/she approaches a trespasser. What is one to do? The slops will always over shadow the clean. It don't matter what it's dealing with!

God have mercy on all!
Old 11-23-2004, 01:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

The 6th died of injuries on Monday
Old 11-23-2004, 08:42 AM

The article that the Star Tribune posted doesn't have the address for the fund, but I pulled it from my previous post. Send contributions to:

Rice Lake Hunters Survivors and Victims Funds
Dairy State Bank
16 S. Main Street
Rice Lake, Wisconsin 54868

You can verify this at http://www.dairystatebank.com/

I know there's no way I'll ever be able to understand this. I can't stop thinking about it. This guy, Vang, was obviously a lunatic. It's an isolated incident that no one could've foreseen. Of course, we're all very upset and have a lot of hatred toward this guy. Being angry and talking about how you'd like to do this or that to the shooter doesn't help out the victims families at all. I'm not asking that we all send money to these people, but do something to HELP. Even a short letter or something. These families need and will appreciate the support more than we will ever know.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:58 AM

I find it kind of insulting there is some (although it be minor) speculation by local media that the hunters may have intimidated him first. WHAT?!?!? First, the self-defense theory is inconceivable given he chased them down through the woods firing at them, leaving me to believe they weren't planning on firing at him. Second, there are many confrontations in the woods each year. IF, and that's a big IF, these hunters had been rude to him, there is no excuse to start shooting.

One more point, the local media kept saying this guy had a MINOR DNR violation - catching 90+ crappies over the limit a few years ago. That doesn't seem very minor to me.

All in all, I agree this is a senseless, brutal episode that has nothing to do with hunting. Something like this could just as well have happened at the gas station or McDonald's if some nut went and got a gun out of his car. My prayers go out to all of the slain and wounded hunter's families.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

This is obviously a horrible event but it made me stop and think that while there are certainly hunting accidents every year (far too many in fact) it is a very rare occassion that you hear something like this (I can think of one other time). While there are a lot of idiots that hunt I think it says something for the hunting population in general that intentional shootings are so rare given the fact that there are thousands of armed men and women in the woods and confrontations are bound to occur (typically in isolated areas with very few witnesses). I think hunters in general show a lot more restraint and common sense than the general population where it is far more common to hear of a shooting in the middle of a public setting over some "road rage" issue or cutting in line at a coffee shop. Just something to think about.

Quick Reply: 5 Wisconsin hunters killed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.