Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

SAD INCIDENT

Old 11-19-2004, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default SAD INCIDENT

Found out a friend of my dads died yesterday as he and a buddy were heading out deer hunting. I guess they were driving out on a secondary highway that is notorious for deer (since it's all rich yuppies living on acreages and don't allow hunting) when a deer jumped in fromt of their SUV, the driver tried to avoid hitting it and hit the ditch. Driver was ok but passenger was killed[] Unfortunately he wasn't wearing his seatbelt. Definately an ironic situation but just be careful out there with the rut going, the deer are running all over the place and can be deadly. JDinAb
Old 11-19-2004, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: SAD INCIDENT

JD bad news, thoughts with the family and friends in this time.

Excellent point on rut and driving, last night returning from a business trip I saw several deer near or cross the highway, while not all rut driven it surely does pick up in this time of the year! Be careful and if you have a truck or larger vehicle don't try to over steer/avoid - a rad is a much better option than a pine box!
Old 11-19-2004, 06:23 PM
Dominant Buck

My condolences JD , I would have just plowed the deer .
We have the same problem here , only with smaller deer than you guys ...
Old 11-19-2004, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

im sorry to hear that. I wish his family well. THe deer are nuts alright. I hit a doe with my truck last night 2 crossed the road so i slowed way down thinkin that was it next thing i know bam another doe jumps out i slammed on brakes 2 late. I only hit it goin 25 but it hit my brush guard and cracked its skull off the rail on it. So be careful they are nuts! Good luck hunting everyone!
Old 11-20-2004, 04:38 AM

Thats terrible to hear I never try to swerve and miss them I try to stop if possible if not its gettin hit. We have that problem all year but its worse when the rut is in.