Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

miss body language

Old 11-19-2004, 10:18 AM

Default miss body language

What do deer usually do when you miss ? Do they take of sprinting trotting, do they jump, etc. I shot at big buck and think i missed cause he just turned the way he came and trotted off with his tail down. I looked for blood from the place i shot him to the last place i saw him, no hair or blood or anything. You think if i shot him with a 12 guage he would do something or would be hair or blood around.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:48 AM

Default RE: miss body language

You think if you did hit him with a 12ga that there would be hair or blood. Did you check on farther where you saw him run? If not, I would double check just to make sure. I have missed plenty of deer in my day, but I always do a very very thural check.

I'll give you an example, this year my father shot at a nice 11pt with his crossbow. He waited an hour, then came over and got me. I was doing the looking right where he took the shot, but I did not find any hair at all, but I did find one little drop of blood, and by tiny I mean less than the size of a tack head. We searched and searched but we found no more blood, so we decided to start looking for blood where we last saw the buck. Well wouldn’t you know as we had our heads down the thing was lying there dead in the weeds. It only ran 40yards from where he shot the thing, but no hair and 1 tiny drop of blood. I had a similar situation happen to me a few years previous too. So my point is, just make sure you check really really well. Good luck with the rest of your season if you don't find him dead.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:06 PM

Yeah i looked about 50 yards from were i last saw him and didnt see anything signs that it was a hit i looked a good hour everywere. I looked at were i shot him and no blood or hair.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:54 AM

Sounds like you checked everything out pretty good. I wouldn't worrry about anymore then, if you would of hit him I'm sure you would of found something after all that searching. Hope ya get another opprotunity. Good luck!