Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

buck of a lifetime missed

Old 11-18-2004, 04:54 PM

Default buck of a lifetime missed

Well i missed the buck of a lifetime. I went to my stand tuesday night and saw to bucks fighting and couldnt see how big they were. So i went there yesterday saw a small buck chasing a doe in a field. Went there today as soon as i got out of my last class at about 1 sit there unitl about 3:50 and there he was the biggest buck i ever saw. He was moving slow and coming straight at me so i took a shot he was facing me so i tried a neck shot but missed. He turned away and trotted off his tail wasnt up or anything. He didnt look back though. I was wondering if you guys think this buck will ever come back theres a scrape directly behind my stand i think it might be his. I also found a rub line but its not by my stand. Do you guys think i should hunt in the same place i missed the buck?
Old 11-18-2004, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: buck of a lifetime missed

he'll be back, all you did was a little schooling for him, but during the rut he'll show up sometime. best of luck

do all of us a favor though wait on a better shot
Old 11-18-2004, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Was this with a rifle or bow?If he hasn't been pressured hard I agree with m.t. . He still may be extra nervous in that particular spot. Try to take a guess on his overall patterns and possibly try to intercept him at a different spot--stay close to the does. Let them lead him to you. get out there as much as possible. He could be moving any time of the day. Stay focused--When you see him again its gonna be when you least expect. Always be hunting--be positive that you will see him again. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
hb
Old 11-18-2004, 10:46 PM

Its suppose to rain tommorow saturday and sundayyou think i should go? i was also thinking about getting one of those scrape drippers and put that over the scrape behind my stand.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

its suppose to rain here tomorrow also but i'll still be out there as long as it not a gully washer, i always like to hunt before and after rain/snow if possible, he'll be back to check his scrapes, it could be anytime of day or night. hunt hard, the deer of a lifetime is out there, and nothing pays off like hard work!!!!!!!
Old 11-18-2004, 11:21 PM

yeah i know what your saying ive been hunting almost 3 times a week since bowseason and every afternoon during gun season and i had my moment i was waiting for and blew it.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:30 PM

I was also gonna ask has anybody ever missed a big buck before? What did it do when you missed did it sprint or trot away with its tail up or down etc.?
Old 11-19-2004, 12:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Happens ,but not to me,Never missed
Old 11-19-2004, 07:06 AM

Yeah,

I can't ever recall missing either. I didn't know that was possible -
Old 11-19-2004, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe that big bucks do leave different after being shot at then other deer do. I missed a big 14 point buck on Wed. and he hardly broke stride and the guy next to me killed him. In the past I have missed a few does and a couple smaller bucks and they pack up and high tail it out of dodge.

Quick Reply: buck of a lifetime missed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.