Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Finally got first deer!  And a buck, at that ... >

Finally got first deer! And a buck, at that ...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Finally got first deer! And a buck, at that ...

Old 11-18-2004, 01:56 PM

Default Finally got first deer! And a buck, at that ...

I was on a one-day management hunt at Mason Neck NWR (southeastern Fairfax County, VA) this morning. Like most management hunts, they wanted us to take mostly does - take a doe, and you can come back in the afternoon. I was all thumbs getting out of the truck, and figured it was going to be a long day.

I stumbled through the woods to my first scouted-out spot, hung up a couple of wicks soaked in doe pee, hit The Can a couple of times, and settled in to wait. Not 15 minutes later, along comes a nice little seven-pointer. I let him have the load of buckshot (only ammo allowed) at about 25 yards. He went down, and another shot finished him off.

I was pretty pumped, as this is my first deer of any kind (I'm 50 years old, but only took up deer hunting four years ago). My hunting day was done for taking a buck, but I really didn't care. I'm sure I didn't do the greatest field-dressing job, but it wasn't as big a deal as I had expected.

I now discovered why old, out-of-shape desk jockeys shouldn't shoot deer that are 200 yards from their vehicle, through dense woods with shallow ravines. I dragged him about 25-30 yards at a pop, stopping to gasp and wheeze like a steam calliope. I couldn't get him into the truck by myself, but I flagged down a couple of passing park rangers who gave me a hand and my first congrats on the deer.

At the check station, he weighed in at 102 pounds. He had an 11-inch spread - not exactly B&C, but I'm in it for meat anyway, not the antlers. In order not to jinx myself, I stupidly left my digital camera at home, so I didn't get my own pictures. But one of the park rangers had a disposable camera, and she took a couple of shots and promised to send me the prints. I'll scan them and post them when I get them.

I'll leave the merry mad-cap misadventures of trying to find a processor for another day ...
Old 11-18-2004, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Finally got first deer! And a buck, at that ...

congrats, nothing like that first deer
Old 11-18-2004, 02:22 PM

Congrats!
Old 11-18-2004, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

That's a great success story. Good job. Nice to do it all on your own!
Old 11-18-2004, 02:41 PM

As a 46-year-old who went on his first deer hunt a couple of weeks ago (and didn't even see a deer), you've given me inspiration and hope.

"Wheezing like a steam calliope" made me laugh--not at you, but with you, because I'm sure that as a desk jockey myself, I'd probably be worse off.

Congratulations!
Old 11-18-2004, 03:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrates on your deer old man,LOL yep they drag HAAARD
Old 11-18-2004, 03:29 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. I'm really rather proud of this accomplishment.

Moose - the calliope line was supposed to make you laugh at me - I sure was Besides, we have to be pretty old just to remember what a calliope is ...

Here's how my four years of hunting have gone:

Year one - never saw a deer during the hunt (plenty standing on the side of the road and sticking their tongues out at us as we drove home)

Year two - actually saw a deer while hunting, but he was running and I couldn't get a shot (and he refused to stop)

Year three - got a shot at a deer, but missed (#$&^@% buckshot - I checked for blood or hair, and followed his trail a ways, but never saw any evidence that I had hit him)

Year four - yippee!! Success!! (Although, the way this progression has gone, I should have gotten a doe this year, saving the buck for next year)

Anyway, all this is to say that I hope you find a way to shorten the process of bagging a deer. Sure hope it doesn't take you four years. Keep us posted.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:25 PM

Congrats
Old 11-18-2004, 11:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

way to go man, best of luck the rest of the season
Old 11-19-2004, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats. Always good to see a fellow Virginian succeed. Wait until you shoot one that's closer to 200 lbs and your arm will be sore for a week.

Quick Reply: Finally got first deer! And a buck, at that ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.