Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Need help tracking a deer ASAP >

Need help tracking a deer ASAP

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need help tracking a deer ASAP

Old 11-16-2004, 07:43 PM

Default Need help tracking a deer ASAP

So there I was, about 4pm, a buck, a 6 point !
The largest deer I had ever fired at , no more then 150 yds away.

I aimed, I fired, my buddy yells "Woohooo!"

I bring the rifle down and reload it (bolt action), the deer is trying to stand up, almost like a dog sitting on the ground, he gets up and wobbles, I aim and fire again, he takes off bounding through the field and into the woods.

I shoot a .300 WSM 180grain failsafe bullet.

We track the blood trail from this deer, huge pools of blood at first, and I mean like somene poured a bucket of blood on the ground.

And the trail is constant.

After the first 50 yards into the woods, it starts getting very very thick, massive briar bushes, and now the blood trail is small, maybe every 5-10 feet a few drops here and there.

After about 100yds total in the woods, the blood trail ends with only a drop of blood.

We scoured the are for over an hour, bringing in 4 other people, we each were using 3million candle power spotlights and we searched untill 8:30pm

We never found him.

Any ideas?

The splotches of blood were weird, they werent like a pool, it was almost like if someone had Coughed the blood, they were slpattered like, heck I dont know someone had a paint brush full of blood and just winged it all around the woods.

We'd find blood on trees a few feet away from the pools of blood, my buddy even remarked the deer had his blood sprinkler going off.

I have no idea exactly where I shot the deer at, I aimed for the shoulder, but my friend said as soon as I shot the deer "sat down"

This area is frequented by MANY hunters, so I want to find this deer asap, but none were out there when we left (way after dark) so I know no one picked it up.

Help !!!!!!!! []
Old 11-16-2004, 08:06 PM

Default RE: Need help tracking a deer ASAP

Cmon guys anyone can help me?
Old 11-16-2004, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

well i dont htink i can help you a whole lot since i have a bad history of tracking deer, but i would get out there as early as i could and bring as many people with you as you can. If by some reason you dont find it look out for buzzards later on, it can be a last resort. Question did you wait before you went to find him after you shot of did you just go up there and try to get em
Old 11-16-2004, 08:18 PM

Eh heh I tried to wait but as soon as I had shouldered my gun my buddy was already at the "kill site" waving his hands yelling at the top of his loungs "I see blood, I see blood" and immediatley scampered into the woods.

I have no doubt that the deer ran far, Im thinking that the pools of blood were where the deer was standing and resting and the droplets sprayed everywhere was when it was running.

There is a pond about 100yds from where we had to stop looking, (its gets pitch black here even with a spotlight) so early in the morning Im going to head over there and start looking again.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:20 PM

Well LostinSpace,
I gotta tell you first off you have a great gun and all.
I havea 7mm Red Mag and a 30/30 , and have had the same problem you are having. Well Here is just a fews tips. Go the the last spot of blood you found and From their Start circle around that blood spot ( i.e walk aout 30 to 50 yards and make a big circle aroudn the blood and keep doing the moving about 25 more yards out each time you complete a Circle , This will either Find the deer , or find more blood sign. Dont Give up keep lookin and when you feel like you have looked enough LOOK SOMEMORE man . DOnt give up , i gut shot a Doe with a 30-06 and tracked her for almost 3 to 3 1/2 miles man finding only a few blood spots , look you turned up leaves and stumble places Pay close attention.
Let me know how it go's Also where about are you located if it anit to far i would be more than happy to come help you find your deer man. More than Likely you got a thoart shot just barely clippin the thoart or a lung shot . Alos the secong shot from your rifle might have Spooked him and made him run a father . Just Dont Give up ! LEt me know how it go's. Also if you got any questions feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] and i will get back to you asap!
Old 11-16-2004, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the deer squatted--it sounds like you might have hit him a liitle far back-How long did you wait before goin after him? The trail will probably be easier in the morning. Besides blood look for tracks that are really dug in. Sound like if he was spraying he must have had a major blood vessel broken--if you lose the trail and have some friends start searching in grid pattern formation--don't neglect thinkin about him doubling back or going uphill--If he is mortally wounded (which it sounds like)--he probabaly dove strait thru a thick briar patch and is laying dead on the other side--in the dark its easy to miss'em flashlights or not--use your nose as well--good luck
Old 11-16-2004, 08:21 PM

What color was the blood? Dark red or light? Was the blood frothy? Was there any kind of food particles in the blood or any stomach or intestine contents on the ground. The chunks of blood sounds like a liver shot to me which a deer could go a ways on, of course I am only a bowhunter so that is what they can do with a liver hit from an arrow. But, if it was actually spraying as you describe, that sounds like an artery or lung which means he is dead close.

More info????
Old 11-16-2004, 08:25 PM

The blood was as red as red can be, I mean it was sooo red that you could see the pools glistening in the darkness while you were 20 ft away.

It was very bright red.

I told my friend I think I hit it in the lungs and it was spraying as the deer was running.

That .300 I dont doubt tore out probably a 2 inch hole exit wound on the animal, even a gut shot Id see some kind of stomach junk, but there was none.

As far as smell, its in the middle of a huge pine forest, so all it smelled like was overpowering air freshner.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:26 PM

The deer SAT down.

I mean it litterally sat down like a dog sits, I shot it and when I looked over the gun it was still sitting and struggling to get back up.

My friend said it didnt hunch or anything, he said it just sat down.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:31 PM

He took off bounding? You mean he ran away like nothing was worng, jumping and stuff? If thats the case you eliminate and kind of leg shot or I would even say a muscle shot. You said you tracked him 50 yards. Well if you took out the top of his lungs, and he was running, i could see him going 100+ yards. The chunks of blood ( most likely clots) sounds like a hit in the vitals. I think in the morning if you do a grid search you will find him. Those huge spotlights can actually make it very hard to pick up small amounts of blood. Take it slow and be careful so as not to rush in and disturb any sign thats there.

Quick Reply: Need help tracking a deer ASAP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.