Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

near fatal hunting accident

Old 11-17-2004, 02:27 PM

Default RE: near fatal hunting accident

This has to be a cross bow, no man in there right mind would come to full draw on anyone, plus a #$%^&**( , car to boot. If this guy was using a compound bow, this would take the cake of the ******* of the year award. My prayers are for him, and hope the other guy sit's on a arrow(all 28 inches)(slowly)
Old 11-17-2004, 03:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Crossbow,bow,or gun,before you step out of the woods in to the parking lot that weapon shoiuld of be emptied. The guy was very careless and stupid
Old 11-17-2004, 11:09 PM

I live in the Antigo area,and rumor has it,these guys may have been trying to shoot a deer from the road using the truck to block the deers view until the guy with the bow was ready,then the truck would pull away so the guy could take the shot.But the release got touched off prematurely.Rumor also has it they may have had several baitpiles along the roads for this drop and shoot poaching trick.Its what the rumor is flying around the county anyway,small counties like this is where someone knows someone who is related or know who is. And I believe it's still under investigation.At any rate it's neither hunter error or mechanical malfunction,its plain careless stupidity.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:56 AM

Default Antigo sportsmen

If you live in the Antigo area you should know the Rusch family,they are not the kind of folks that would poach or have any friends that would poach.These are the kind of men that most people only dream of being.They are true sportsmen and have a close relation to god and country.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

They are true sportsmen and have a close relation to god and country.
Yea they almost met him. Sounds like people I would want to avoid not emulate.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:50 PM
Typical Buck

For the shooter's sake, it had better have been an X-bow. If he had a compound and was using one of those "Draw Lok" mechanisms, they're ILLEGAL in the state of WI. I know three guys that own small sporting goods shops in the area, and they are Webster's depiction of true sportsmen,and ethical hunters. The gent that was shot in this story is also a shop owner, and if he's ANYTHING like the ones I know, they wouldn't have anything to do with people that play on the dark side of the law. I will say however that the shooter made a terrible ERROR by violating one of the cardinal rules firearm safety. "ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE WEAPON IS POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION!" Pointed towards a vehicle, whether he knew it was occupied or not is CERTAINLY NOT SAFE! Sounds like Bill is going to pull through though based on the Journal's report, but keep us posted and God Speed to him on the road to recovery.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:53 PM

i talked to billys dad and he said that the friend was coming out of the woods and when he saw a deer he took a shot and missed it and the arrow hit the car in the window and then into billy.He was using a compound bow and had a trigger release. No drawlock.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:38 PM

Story keeps changing,from a rod thing like a draw-lock,to took a shot at a deer.Now the story is conflicting with whats in the paper.Like I said before this will unravel soon and the real story will come to light.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:11 PM

well if there was a deer, it certainly wasn't driving, was it?

Was the shooter aiming the bow at full draw (granted, IF it was a compound or recurve) to just 'scare' the gentleman in the car?

Granted, you don't expect that from men of their ages, but maybe that was the case?

Jeez, lucky for the injured party, but there still should be big-time penalites of some sort for the shooter.

Jeez, prayers with him...

Ken B