Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 how many does will you shoot in a season >

how many does will you shoot in a season

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how many does will you shoot in a season

Old 11-17-2004, 09:00 AM

Default RE: how many does will you shoot in a season

I take one buck and one doe a year. The wife and I will never eat more than 2 deer a year. And I usually end up giving away a lot too. I wish somebody would ask me to shoot one for them.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:35 AM

1 maybe 2 . I have 3 tags and can either get 2 bucks and a doe or 1 buck and 2 does so by the end of season if I havent gotten 2 bucks then I will fill it with a doe. We usually take the does so we will have meat. I put up 5 deer in the freezer last year and we ran out before summer. And that is just what me and my husband killed. My kids always give there meat to the grandparents and elderly that cant hunt anymore. Plus we give some to the church for our wild game supper.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:12 AM

Im a meat hunter, and while I'd realy like to get that 14 point buck I honestly don't go out of my way to get a SPECIFIC deer. If its mature and ain't got a lil' one following it, its in my freezer. I don't hunt real often, and I'm not a pro at it, soooo I usually kill 2-4 deer a year. Only 1 has EVER been a buck and this is my 5th year hunting. Guess I'm too lazy to care when a doe susposedly tastes better anyways.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:22 AM

It all depends on where you live. We have DMAP here in VA and I killed 7 last year.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Ohio if you go several places can take 9 deer only 1 can be a buck .
Boy..........u better read your regulations all over again fella! In the state of OHio you can ONLY HARVEST 7 DEER PER HUNTER LEGALLY That is including your one buck limit, unless you hunt in a different state to harvest another buck elswehre
Old 11-18-2004, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

As many as we see and have permits for. On a good year we may get 2-4 in our group. Sometimes 0. This year no permits were issued in our management unit (bummer). Doe harvest is key to healthy deer herds.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Easy.... none. No horns...no shot.... but that's jus' me....
Old 11-18-2004, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Taken 4 doe,1 buck this year.Our farm so far this yr has taken 8 doe. I Might take 4 more doe before end of Jan. It all depends what mood I'm in that day.

It's a management issue around here.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt in an area where everyone who applies receives a doe tag or "antlerless tag" as it's called here. I filled three doe tags and shot 2 bucks hunting in our camp which is meat first, big buck's second. We had one tag left and I passed on 3 does on my final day looking for a real big 'un.

What I find interesting is that even though we have a high number of does versus bucks our MNR striclty controls the amount of does harvested. In some areas it is almost impossible to draw a doe tag and therefore all the orange shirts are out there shooting everything with horns. This is in areas with lower deer poulations mind you. From the posts it seems a few years of not shooting bucks and only shooting does might make more sense?
Old 11-18-2004, 07:47 PM

I will probably end up taking two does this year. In years past, I would always take a doe if I killed a buck, but now I plan to kill at least two does for one buck. As long as somebody wants me to kill them a deer, I'll have no problems doing that.

Rem1100:
Easy.... none. No horns...no shot.... but that's jus' me....
Rem, there are a bunch of guys in our hunting group (my dad being one of them) with that philosophy too... Gosh I wish they'd get with the times and help out the herd! [&:]