Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Lost a good one due to cheap remington ammo >

Lost a good one due to cheap remington ammo

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lost a good one due to cheap remington ammo

Old 11-16-2004, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Lost a good one due to cheap remington ammo

i went to shoot a nice buck the other day after it ran past me when i was tagging my doe. I got a nice 60 yard shot and the big knight disc didnt go off....i somehow up a used primer in there. ugh
Old 11-16-2004, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had that to happen on me on a big Gobbler one year but it was a Federal shell, I was hunting with an old single barrel 10 Ga. and snapped on him 3 times, I some how got lucky enough to get another shell loaded and bag my bird. After I got to the truck I examined both shells and the mis-fired shells primer was seated alot deeper and the firing pin just barely made a nick in it, On the good shell it almost punched a hole thru it. My first thought though when it happened was my firing pin was broke, but that was'nt the case, If I had'nt of got the bird I too was ready to wrap my gun around a tree.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have never seen or personally heard of a defective coree lokt, i always check over my ammo prior to hunting/shooting anyway. too bad to hear that.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:51 PM

I agree with the one poster, there is no way to have the primer in too far, it is your gun, firing pin. I agree remington has produced some bad ammo in comparison to others but I would look at the gun on this one. I had a box of remington 22 mag rimfires that had no powder in one of the rounds, it fired and the power of the primer lodged the bullet into the chamber, I shot again and lets just say it was a mess.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:29 PM

I never had a problem with Rem core lok ammo. However, I inspect every cartridge as I lightly oil them with a cloth and gun oil. Never had one snap...luck of the draw...did you ever win a lottery? Good Luck next time...
Old 11-20-2004, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i am not a gun expert but to me it also sounds like a firing pin problem. did u ever shoot your gun after the bad shell to see that it was working ok? if it indeed was the shell contact remington about the problem as others suggested
Old 11-20-2004, 10:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with the one poster, there is no way to have the primer in too far, it is your gun, firing pin.
The shell for my shotgun that mis-fired was definately seated to deep, I have shot it numerous times after that misfire and no problems, the firing pin is fine, you could see that the primer was seated alot deeper in the misfired round by just looking at it without even comparing it against another round. It was not my gun or the firing pin it was the ammo. IMO there was a defect in the hull itself that allowed the primer to seat to deep.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

In about 1988 I had a Remington 30-30 shell go dud on me while at the range with my Marlin 336. I grew up about 15 miles from the Remington Ammo. plant in Lonoke Arkansas. I took the cartridge with the plainly dimpled primer to the Remington plant, and they said they would send me a letter on their findings.

I wish I still had that letter, but basicaly it said something to the effect that my firing pin did not make a big enough dent in their primer. I wish I would have requested that cartridge so I could have sent it off to Winchester to see what they would have said.

For a long time after that, I used nothing but Winchester in my Marlin, and my Weatherby .270 likes Federal.

Then for a few years, I started buying Remington for the Marlin, and last year at the range I got another dud. I still have about half of that box, because I immediatly went and bought Winchester so I could have full confidence when I pull the trigger on a deer after sitting for hours in the stand.

C. Davis
Old 11-21-2004, 12:06 PM

thats just one of thing drawbacks of saving money. I really like the core lokts because they shoot great in my gun and they are the cheapest around. One time duck hunting i was going to waterslap a wounded duck on the water and i shot and no bb's hit the water out of my federal shell. $hit happens. If you wanna spend the money to buy better shells then go for it. But you get what you pay for. You pay half the price of other brands you might get one missfire out of 1000 or even more.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:56 AM

Happend to me two damnest thing..........core-lock 30-06 150 grain...never bought remington ammo again...........

Quick Reply: Lost a good one due to cheap remington ammo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.