HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Cuting Pelvic Bone When Field Dressing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/79233-cuting-pelvic-bone-when-field-dressing.html)

carmelolisciotto 11-15-2004 02:25 PM

Cuting Pelvic Bone When Field Dressing

Who cuts around the pelvic bone rather than cutting through it?

My understanding is snapping the pelvic bone makes it easier to clean the carcass but is also a trickier procedure....
Thoughts?

Carmelo A. Lisciotto

www.WorldShooter.com
Shooting and Hunting Talk Forums <-- Check Us Out
[email protected]

bigcountry 11-15-2004 02:35 PM

RE: Cuting Pelvic Bone When Field Dressing

I leave it together in the woods. Just get a good, long, slender sharp knife, and cut around the anus before pulling out all the guts. That way, it all comes out in one big bunch. I have seen people mess with that pelvic bone, but its another worry you don't have to bother with.

carmelolisciotto 11-15-2004 02:38 PM

Yeah that's kinda what I thought too.

Carmelo A. Lisciotto

www.WorldShooter.com
Shooting and Hunting Talk Forums <-- Check Us Out
[email protected]

dvdegeorge 11-15-2004 05:10 PM

You don't need to do that.I carry a folding buck fillet knife and it cuts right around the anus perfectly.

DearSlayer357 11-15-2004 05:35 PM

I carry a bolt with me. And just put it on the bone and tap it down till it breaks.

woody7 11-15-2004 05:49 PM

Some people use a old knife and a rock to split it. I use a small wire saw made for this. just cut around the a hole slide one handle through the pelvis pull up and cut through in about 3 seconds. I bought a saw yesterday with a handle and end gaurd to prevent puncturing the bladder, it looks like it will do better. One of the hunters on our lease will lay the deer flat on its back drop down and pop the pelvis by landing with his knees on each of the hind legs. I havent perfected that move yet.

Broadhead88 11-15-2004 05:51 PM

forget the pelvis!! I have seen people almost cut their hands off trying to break the damn thing. Cut the anus out and you'll be fine. Also, the piss sac is a little tricky and that is almost in the pelvis.

good luck.

Bob

TURKEY FAN 11-15-2004 06:02 PM

I use a hatchet and chop it open, if its warm it will split very easily, then i will cut around the anus and use a string to tie off the bladder and get that piss out of there.

ddc758 11-15-2004 06:02 PM

I carried a small hatchet for several years, until another party member showed up with a folding locking saw about 7" long, that he picked up at a hardware store. I went out and bought one, also works for trimming shooting lane from tree stand. Buckmasters sent me one since as a premium for renewing my subscription.
Another member of my party says that it is a waste of time to cut through the bone and just cuts out the anus and pulls it out with intestines.

jrbsr 11-15-2004 06:47 PM

You don't need to do that.I carry a folding buck fillet knife and it cuts right around the anus perfectly.
Can you explane just how to do that?

It sounds better but I have never seen it done.

Thank You