Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

By the Book

Old 11-15-2004, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Default By the Book

If I shot every Deer that walked in front of me I would have 1000 by now.

But they were not legal to shot at the time.

I just can't bring myself to do it ileagel.

If its not by the book State regulations that is .

I don't do it.

So am I alone or does every one else go by the Book?

And what do you think?
Old 11-15-2004, 10:47 AM

Default RE: By the Book

If I shot every deer that walked infront of me this year, I would have 2. Just be happy you are seeing deer. I would not ever shoot a deer that was not legal. One deer is not worth the risk of losing my hunting privileges.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:19 PM

I go by the book, it cost me a 140 class 14 pointer but I used my buck tag the day before so I didnt shoot but will admit I had the cross hairs on him[:@]
Old 11-15-2004, 08:35 PM

Jrbsr not sure exactly where Seagrove NC is but anyways you know most parts of NC are very open to being able harvest doe or buck yr round. But youre right man if I use my doe tags I dont shoot another the rest of the year. To me its not worth it. Also as you probably know most folks in NC B**CH about not having a long enough season. Thats exactly enough reason to keep it legal where you can report the deer you do kill instead of killing deer that the state has no idea is being harvested. I register all my kills and do not step out those boundaries that are in our lil green books.....GOOD HUNTIN!!!
Old 11-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

Come on someone be the first to say they shoot illegal deer. We won't report you. LOL
Old 11-16-2004, 01:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

OK, When I was 15 I made a mistake,NOT on purpose. In doe season I shot a buck that had its antlers broke off.One side was 3 1/2 inches and the other 2 inches.Never seen them. That was a illegal deer in doe season in pa.. I lived on a farm and dad had criop damage permits so we used one of them to tag it
Old 11-16-2004, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

OK, When I was 15 I made a mistake,NOT on purpose. In doe season I shot a buck that had its antlers broke off.One side was 3 1/2 inches and the other 2 inches.Never seen them. That was a illegal deer in doe season in pa.. I lived on a farm and dad had criop damage permits so we used one of them to tag it
With the crop damage permit it was still legal so you did Ok.

Good Luck on futher hunts

jrbsr
Old 11-16-2004, 02:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've always gone by the book, and I plan to continue doing so. I have a very itchy trigger finger once the season rolls around, but I keep my wits about me and wait for the perfect moment to shoot the right animal. It can be frustrating not to get the one you want, but I don't think I could live with myself if I made a harvest illegitimately.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

Im with Aught-6!
Mike
Old 11-17-2004, 09:12 AM

I will admit that i have stretched a few laws before when hunting. I have never taken an illegal deer, after hours/ spotlight/ out off season/ wrong sex etc. No sense in shooting an animal like that because you wouldn't feel like you earned it. However some of the smaller details of our laws i am not afraid to stretch. We are to be in full colors here when rifle hunting which i abide by when I am walking in and out of the bush. But in all honesty when I am a mile back in the bush where I have yet to see another hunter, i get set up and i peel my red off and have my scent lock camo on underneath. I really do not see the difference between doing this or sitting with a sheet of camo burlap covering you. Also my gun is loaded from the time i leave the truck to the time i return to the truck regardless of time of day. I am not about to walk through an oat field with bear scat every 10 yards without a loaded weapon. I am just a young fella but i have already had way too many close bear encounters. Same goes for tracking an animal after dark in the bush. I am not about to follow a blood trail after dark without a rifle in my hand. I am not concerned with the animal i am tracking but rather what other animals are tracking it. Had a bud of mine track his elk one year only to find a sow and 2 cubs already beat him to the kill. The sow did not charge him so he left them alone but in that situation 9 times out of 10 things will get ugly fast. You could bet your bottom dollar that the wardens wouldn't be going into a situation like this with only a knife in their hand so why should i put myself in danger? Other than that i am a pretty law abiding citizen.

Quick Reply: By the Book

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.