HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How do I hunt this buck? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/79173-how-do-i-hunt-buck.html)

grkhunter 11-15-2004 07:51 AM

How do I hunt this buck?

There is a buck that visits my property (catskills, NY) but only comes after 9 o'clock at night. I decided to follow his trail that came from. I found the rub line and scrapes. I went as far as 1/2 mile uphill on a very steep mountain trying to find his bedding area. There are many thick cover areas all over the mountain and all over his rub/scrapes path.
I hunted the last scrape that I found for 2 days (on the climber from 4:00 am to 5 p.m) with no luck. I am thinking that I should go even higher but not knowing where he beds it would make things worse.
What is the average territory that a buck covers? Any ideas on how should I proceed?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jrbsr 11-15-2004 09:23 AM

RE: How do I hunt this buck?

I found the rub line and scrapes.
Is there a rub with a scrape right under it?

If there is then thats the one to camp out at so to speak.

Set up your stand with in shooting distance from it and go every day for up to 7 days

Or what ever days that are legal in NY.

He will visit it at least one of those days.

Spray some doe estres scent in the scrape to get hem in the mood .

Then sit back and wait.

Good Luck

jrbsr

Oh yea if you get him post a pic ok

grkhunter 11-15-2004 09:55 AM

There is a rub 7-8 yards away from the scrape. The problem is that he visits the scrape often but ONLY nighttime. This buck is around for at least 4 years so I bet that he is pretty smart. If I ever get him I'll definitely post the pic for you:)

Thanks a lot for your feedback

TheYoungOne 11-15-2004 10:24 AM

put a scrape dripper on it, he will visit it in the day time then

jpm8920 11-15-2004 11:01 AM

Hey, its great to see someone else who hunts the catskills as well. I hunt in delaware county, in margaretville. I have had the same dilemma as you. The past three years there has been a scrape and rub line in the same spot, and I hunt it hard, but the buck never shows his face. In my situation, his bedding area is a pretty large swamp, and there are so many trails into, in, and out of this swamp that it is hard to find exactly where in the swamp he is bedding. The swamp is big enough that a few guys could easily hunt it. What I would do is keep hunting the scrape or see if he has any other scrape lines in the area and try those. If your area is anything lie mine, then it isn't easy. My area is just woods upon woods. What area do you hunt in? You dont have to be too specific if you don't want.

grkhunter 11-15-2004 02:20 PM

jpm8920
I hunt in Greene County close to phoenicia. It is certainly a tough place to hunt.
Thanks for your input

NY Bowhunter 11-15-2004 04:37 PM

Got to find his bedding and get as close as you can to it. Sounds like a smart buck that probably visits them strictly nocturnaly. Get as close as you can to his bed and maybe catch him leaving early or coming back late.
Some rattling may draw him out too if you catch him in the right mood.

woody7 11-15-2004 06:23 PM

I dont know when the rut is in your part of the world, but if there is a hot doe within a half mile i would be hunting where she is. On our lease i have seen 5 bucks running one doe in the same 500 yard circle for more than 2 hours. Find the hot doe and win a prize.