Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 The Little Things That Hurt Your Deer Hunting >

The Little Things That Hurt Your Deer Hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Little Things That Hurt Your Deer Hunting

Old 11-15-2004, 08:50 AM

Default RE: The Little Things That Hurt Your Deer Hunting

I try to cover my scent to a certain extent. I don't buy any of the scent lok stuff, but I do wash in the scent-free laundry detergent. I do this because normal detergent has the UV brighteners in it for colors, which makes your camo more visible to deer (most of the scent-free detergents don't have brighteners in them). Anyway, I'll also hang my clothes outside and use a scent killer spray on them right before I leave camp, but that's about it. I hunt with guys that smoke like chimneys, so it's pretty hard for me to avoid smelling like smoke. The campfire wood smoke is probably the most dominant scent on my clothing, but I don't think that spooks deer with as many campers and cabins in the woods. JMO.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:58 AM

I dont do anything it seems like the only time I get busted is when I move, I even smoke while hunting and it seems the smell of cigatette smoke makes em curious but it dosent spook em. Ask any smokin deer hunter.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:22 AM

Card: Boy I'll bet you don't have many buddies hanging around with you while ya got that tarsel gland in your hip pocket!!!!..... But the bambies must love ya!!
Old 11-15-2004, 12:32 PM

ORIGINAL: 1dahunter

I dont do anything it seems like the only time I get busted is when I move, I even smoke while hunting and it seems the smell of cigatette smoke makes em curious but it dosent spook em. Ask any smokin deer hunter.
I do all the scent control stuff I can - it's cheap and easy and why not do it. But I go along with Idahunter - movement, noise and wind direction trumps all of that BIG TIME. This is in regards to rifle hunting, especiallly if you're up in a tree. It's like 98% movement, noise and wind direction and 2 % scent control, imho.

My problem is the mental discipline to be quiet and still. Part of this is just being organized enough, part is just that I'm too damn figety.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:34 PM

My big problem? All the neighborhood dogs. One neighbor has 5 dogs, none tied. And that's just one. Within a mile of my timber there must be over 25-30 dogs, most free roaming. And just down the road, by a bridge over a small creek, it seems to be the place for people to dump strays that they don't want. We have a local trade day the first of every month. People have been known to steal dogs and try and sell them there. If they don't sell, they dump them, and they seem to like to dump them on our road. They seem to know I will take care of them when they haven't the guts to do it themselves. (RBTL==Read between the lines). I have a 1 in 4 chance of hunting dog free.

Russ
Old 11-15-2004, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

Unfortunately.... a wife
Old 11-16-2004, 05:51 PM

Kids, Job, Wife etc.. Without them hunting would be all the time and perfect.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Russ,
Maybe you should try dog hunting for a few days before the deer opener--its too bad those dogs are treated that way--but them staying out there is not doing anyone (including them) any good
Old 11-17-2004, 09:59 PM
Fork Horn

Ok I've 2 questions for you smokers.

1. What's the biggest buck you've tagged? Be honest.
2. How many bucks over 140 have you killed over how many years?

IMO you will not consistently kill the dominant mature bucks without more care of scent control.