HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Missed at 5 yards! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/78895-missed-5-yards.html)

sky_guy_61 11-12-2004 12:36 PM

Missed at 5 yards!

I screwed up big time. Hunting from the ground I caught a glimpse of a doe. So I rested the rifle on a limb to get ready for when it showed itself again. Next thing you know it pops up close to me, and is heading right at me. Rifle is still on the limb but the closer it gets I cant see the sights because I am pointing the muzzle lower. At under 5 yards it sees me, and turns to run. I fire because it is so close, and miss!
Not sure if I hit it, I take another shot. Of course I miss because it is running. It stops near some brush and just looks at me. I only had 2 rounds in the lever action Winchester, so have to reload. I slowly get out another round, but by the time I chamber it the deer snorts and runs off.

The only good thing is that I wont make the following mistakes again:
- if the deer is close, step away from the tree so I can point the gun
- dont make running shots (I already knew that)
- keep more rounds in the magazine
- practice shooting with your hunting clothes/gear. I had my backpack on, and the strap kept me from shooting as accurately.
- dont panic. Of course deer fever is not a bad thing, but I will certainly practice that scenario so I am ready next time it happens.

Just thought I would share my mistakes...

trophyhuntr 11-12-2004 12:43 PM

RE: Missed at 5 yards!

are you serious?

slugman 11-12-2004 12:46 PM

are you serious?

Cant be , and I hope not

minnesotahunter 11-12-2004 01:49 PM

That's one of those things I wouldn't tell too many people about

Indiana-Eric 11-12-2004 01:54 PM

DUDES!!!!!!! I missed a Squirrel at about 3 YARDS!!!!! With a SHOTSHELL! he was running and i had a scope on the gun, and i got excited lol, i shot and hit 6 inches behind it.

cardeer 11-12-2004 03:02 PM

One lucky doe,I can relate in a way.This year a doe was so close I had a terrible time finding the front shoulder in the scope.All I seen was hair at first. I finally ended up shooting it in the neck,the one spot I could relate to quickly rather then keep moving the gun around trying to find the shoulder. It was getting nervous and looking right at me.

NY Bowhunter 11-12-2004 06:02 PM

That is a joke right?

bushmaster_5bko 11-12-2004 06:11 PM

Thats a bummer.. u'd think at 5 yards point and shoot you would easily hit it

timbercruiser 11-12-2004 07:20 PM

Go ahead and cut your own shirt tail off............:D

eddie_v21 11-12-2004 07:24 PM

1)you shouldnt need more than one shell