Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Anyone make a hunting log/spreadsheet? >

Anyone make a hunting log/spreadsheet?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone make a hunting log/spreadsheet?

Old 11-12-2004, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Anyone make a hunting log/spreadsheet?

I decided that this season I will create an Excel spreadsheet/hunting log type of thing. So far, I have bow season all jotted down and am off to a slow start here in Virginia. [&o] I'm still kicking myself for missing that big 8 pointer at 20 yards too! [:'(]

Feel free to check it out, give opinions, thoughts, suggestions, etc....

http://members.aol.com/ammonc/Hunting-log.html

Cumberland - means Cumberland State Forest.
Powhatan - means the nearby public WMA in Powhatan.
Amelia - means the other nearby (and overhunted) public WMA in Amelia.

I don't want to "dis" anything or cause a rucus, but I mean, you know and I know.... a public WMA on a weekend? Pfffffft!!! Don't even bother... Lots and lots and lots and lots of people per every square acre! [:'(]

If you double check back on a calendar, I hunted the WMA's during the week when it was quiet. I totally, absolutely, REFUSE to go back to Amelia WMA, because it is so overhunted, and so public, that it is sadly becoming a joke. I had a pair of elderly folks (yes, even during the week!) out walking their three white terriers out on the trails. I mean, come on, they knew I was there! They saw my truck. They saw some other dude's truck in the parking lot! COME ON, WTF!!! [:@] They started clapping and calling to their dogs and talking real loudly and saying something about "get the birdies" or "chase the squirrels" or something like that - all at about 90db too!!!! My afternoon hunt mid week at a public WMA was officially ruined!! Grrrrrr.... [:@][:@]

Therefore, I go further out to the state forest and hunt over there. It's more rural and is not free like the public WMA's - you have to buy a $10 state forest stamp to hunt there. It's worth it, because it's less crowded even on weekends.

Now, if I could only get my first deer! I'm still searching for that 8 pointer that I missed on and hopefully, I'll get him!

Butch A.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:52 AM

Default RE: Anyone make a hunting log/spreadsheet?

Useing a small pocket notebook is something I've done for years. I always put what area, weather, game seen, scrapes or rubs in area, what kind of acorn ect year it is, time of day I see the game, shots amde and missed...., ect. You'll be glad you have one when you look back to certain areas and see how it was 3 years back. What you're doing is a very good thing--IMO. Have a great hunting season!!!