Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooting dogs fules antis!

Old 11-12-2004, 03:03 PM

Default RE: Shooting dogs fules antis!

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

In some locations it is actually illegal for a dog to chase deer.This is for good reason as dogs can chase a deer to exhaustion and it can die as a result.Do you think that it is right to allow a deer to be run to death?How would you feel if someone ran your dog to death?Where I hunt conservation officers shoot any dog seen chasing deer and tell hunters to do the same.I would not think of killing a dog just because it is in the woods but if it is seen actually chasing deer the situation changes.
i don't believe that dogs chasing deer results in death of the deer 99.999999999% of the time ...it's possible but very unlikely. deer are tough wild critters, they know how to survive.

in short what i'm trying to say is who gives a crap if a dog is chasing some deer. and i wouldn't be surprised if it got out that a conservation officer is not only shooting dogs but promoting others to do the same he probally wouldn't be a conservation officer much longer.

the conservation officers generally don't even shoot trouble bears ...they trap them and move them to new areas.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:07 PM
bigcountry

Stubble dogs have been around well before roman times and its their nature to run deer. Same as wolves. Its nature. I think even the stupid anti's understand that. How do I feel about a dog running a deer. Not bad at all. Its quite natural. I feel the same about a wolf running a elk. For a hunter to shoot one cause it ruined his hunt. Not very natural in my opinion.

sure you can say, owners being negligent and all that, but accidents do happen. Dogs are quite resourceful. And again, you got to ask yourself is it worth it? Is it worth a distraut dog owner loosing it and firebombing your house, or hurting you?

Old 11-12-2004, 03:09 PM
bigcountry

Have to disagree with you there jroot. If a pack starts running one, the deer will probably die from exhaustion. Seen it many times in Ky growing up.

Old 11-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

How do I feel about a dog running a deer. Not bad at all. Its quite natural. I feel the same about a wolf running a elk.
Actually we shoot wolves on sight where I live and it is legal to do so for a resident of the province.As for irresponsible dog owners taking out their frustration,where I hunt, farms are quite large in size with a very sparse human population.If a dog failed to come home(if it even has one)the owner would in all likelyhood never know why let alone know who shot it.Therefore there would be no media coverage either.I suppose the situation would be different in the more populated small acreage areas that many people live in but here where we have real farms of several hundred acres or more,that is the situation.