Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 First Time Hunter in over 14 years >

First Time Hunter in over 14 years

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First Time Hunter in over 14 years

Old 11-09-2004, 09:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default First Time Hunter in over 14 years

Hi all, you've got an awesome site here. I've spent a few days exploring it and thoroughly enjoy it. Here's my story, first time hunting in 14 years.

I'm in my mid 30's and just started hunting again after going only 4, yes 4 times in my entire life. Living in Northern Louisiana, you'd think I could find more time to go. I've recently become friends with a member of my church and he invited me hunting this past weekend. The wife says go! It'll be good for you. I decide, what the heck and go. I've got my 30-06 with a load of 150 grain nbt ammo, and head out to a blind my friend has set up. I get into the blind around 4:45am. Pitch black, can't even see my hands in front of my face. The blind faces 2 75 yard shooting lanes that have been baited with corn. They are close enough together that I can sit in the blind and flick my eyes back and forth and be able to see down the lanes without moving. It's also doe day on the club we're hunting on. Well, at exactly 6:19am, with the dawn coming on, I glance down the left lane and see nothing. I glance down the right lane and there is a very large spike already standing there eating the corn off the ground.

I raise the rifle, and 4 seconds after that, my first ever deer is laying on the ground. Dropped immediately. I call my bud on the cell phone and tell him I've gotten one! WOOT! My first deer! He tells me, leave him there and sit in blind, just in case.

Exactly 1 hour after the spike was shot, yep, I killed my second deer down the left lane, a nice sized doe! So after not hunting deer for 14 years, I go on a whim and kill my first and second deer of my life within an hour of each other. Man, what a day

Anyway, I thought I would share this with you, and look forward to talking with you guys and ladies.

dhunterinla
Old 11-09-2004, 11:21 PM

Default RE: First Time Hunter in over 14 years

Hey welcome to the board. I think you will enjoy it here. I hunt in southeast Arkansas so we are neighbors. Congrats on your 2 deer. So do you have the fever now. Are you gonna go again?
Old 11-09-2004, 11:25 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats! Was a good day for sure.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Way to go
Old 11-10-2004, 05:28 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: annieoakley

Hey welcome to the board. I think you will enjoy it here. I hunt in southeast Arkansas so we are neighbors. Congrats on your 2 deer. So do you have the fever now. Are you gonna go again?
Thanks for the welcome I've got the fever big time! I was so pumped up, my friend laughed at me all the way home! I'm defintely going again, just not sure when. Man, that feeling when I got those 2 deer was just awesome!

dhunterinla
Old 11-10-2004, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

Welcome to the board and welcome back to the sport! Congrats on the two deer! Sounds like an awesome hunt! Have a great season!.... Jim
Old 11-10-2004, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats!!
Old 11-10-2004, 08:47 AM

Welcome & congrats
Old 11-10-2004, 09:41 AM

Congrats!

The first time I ever hunted was two years ago (I was 21), I shot 2 8 pointers within 30-45 min of each other. It was really exciting and I was instantly hooked. Now, I bowhunt as well.

BTW, I wish my wife would tell me to go hunting. Usually its "WHY DO YOU HAVE TO GO HUNTING ALL THE TIME!"
Old 11-10-2004, 09:59 AM

Congrats! Hope you're back for good. Get an audio tape of your wife telling you to go hunt, YOU WILL NEED IT AS EVIDENCE AT A LATER TIME Good Luck with the rest of the season. Gonna try to duck hunt?

Quick Reply: First Time Hunter in over 14 years

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.