Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shot a "double"

Old 11-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shot a "double"

So there I was, all alone (dad was going to the bathroom) and I hear a noise and see a deer walking. I'm shaking real bad and try a grunt, it comes out pretty bad and the deer froze. I tried again and it started walking again. I clicked the safety off and aimed my gun between two trees where the deer was heading. Suddenly I see a flag (you know what I mean) and thought "Oh no, there goes my deer", but it was just a fawn running up to the doe. So anyway, when the deer got between the trees, I fired a shot. Everything froze and slowly worked the bolt and watched the bullet land silently in the leaves. I looked up again but didn't see the fawn. I aimed more carefully this time, halfway exhaled and fired, this time the doe collasped and I saw a deer jump up from behind it looking funny and run a little ways. I thought "Worry about the doe, you don't know if you hit the other one", so I walked towards the doe and at about 20 yards whistled. Suddenly I hear a whistle behind me and I jumped like 20 feet in the air. I thought my dad walked a ways away but he was right behind me. So we approached the doe and he said congratulations and I said I think I hit a deer behind it. Then we heard a noise past the doe and the fawn was lying down with a hole through its back leg. My dad finished it with a head shot. The bullet went through the does spine and kept going through the fawns legs. I felt bad about wounding the fawn, and I learned a valuable lesson. ALWAYS make sure whats behind your target. Well me and my dad have two deer down with one to go. Pics of the doe will be up soon, fawn looked pretty gross after the head shot.
(Sorry for such a long post)
Old 11-09-2004, 02:20 PM

Default RE: Shot a "double"

Its not good ethical hunting to take a doe thats still nursing her fawn. I my part of the woods anyway.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I actually didn't know it was a fawn until my dad finished him off.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:59 PM

Ten Commandments of Hunting Safety
#3. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hmmm ,Lesson learned???????????
Old 11-10-2004, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

What if it hadn't beena fawn behind it? if u didn't notice the fawn behind it u may not have noticed a hunter in a stand behind it.. Hopefully u learned your lesson.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

Courage to admit your mistake and a clear explanation of what you learned. Can't ask for much more once the time has passed. Make yourself a better hunter because of it.

Remember that but now enjoy your success. Congratulations Konaboy.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:20 AM

hope you REALLY learned your lesson........cant afford to make those kinda mistakes
Old 11-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good responses by all, no one jumped too hard and I hope he learned a lesson.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:44 AM

Gotta jump in. A teenage hunter was killed in KY 2 years ago in a scarily similar situation. Konaboy congrats on the deer and Thank God thats all you got. I'm Sure you learned a lesson from all this. Safe Hunting for many more moons.

Quick Reply: Shot a "double"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.