Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Gun vs Bow

Old 11-09-2004, 11:49 AM

Default Gun vs Bow

my friend an I have a running debate and I'd like more opinions.
I know that we all strive for a good clean kill in hunting. But the question is: which is typically more "humane" for deer hunting, a bow or a gun? In other words, which causes less suffering to the animal?
Old 11-09-2004, 11:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Gun vs Bow

sounds like a fishing anti looking for a hunter fight to me. Sorry dude I think hunting in general whether it be with a bow, gun, spear, knife, or bare hands is the most humane and ethical way to harvest an animal that we love and respect.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Both are very ethical and humane in harvesting an animal. You need to practice with both to ensure a vital shot. A bow does just as much damage as a gun if placed in the right spot.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:29 PM

Well, I'll admit the debate rose out of an uneducated but highly opinionated non-hunter's rudeness.
But one side is that the bow requires you to be closer to the animal, which may improve accuracy, and it slices the target, allowing better penetration and blood loss. The other side is that the gun's projectile has much more speed (and therefore energy) and does more damage, increasing blood loss. This is assuming proper shot placement in either case.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:10 PM

the ethics part of hunting doesnt fall on which is more ethical the bow or gun but rather the person behind either weapon,
Old 11-09-2004, 02:12 PM
bigcountry

dr, I am going to call it a tie.

Old 11-09-2004, 03:23 PM

Are you serious? There is no comparison with proper shot placement. Any gun from .243 to shotgun slug blows an arrow out of the water. I hope this isn't bowhunting purists not willing to give a gun any good points. As far as hunters go, bowhunters are usually more serious than someone that only gun hunts, so they may take higher percentage shots and be able to hit them better.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:37 PM

Both create equal havoc in my opinion. The firearm doing it's damage from energy and the expanding lead while the arrow does it from the surgical cutting of tissue and vessels from the rotating broadhead.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Are you serious? There is no comparison with proper shot placement. Any gun from .243 to shotgun slug blows an arrow out of the water. I hope this isn't bowhunting purists not willing to give a gun any good points. As far as hunters go, bowhunters are usually more serious than someone that only gun hunts, so they may take higher percentage shots and be able to hit them better.
skin your comment is contridicting itself. You say with proper shot placement a gun will blow an arrow out of the water...than finish off by saying bowhunters may take higher % shots and be better at excuting! I have to tell you that I just sat here scratching my head...then went HUH!

Proper shot placement, higher % shots to excute them with in your own ability are keys regardless if you have a slug, arrow or bullet! This is what is called ethics and failure to keep within your abilities can cause some suffering...that would be referred to as unethical.

Yes your dead right they are worlds apart in how they kill an animal but neither ones is more humane if you produce a clean harvest! A poor shot can happen with either, just because a gun may do more damage and have the ability to pump a second shot into the wounded animal does not make it more humane or effecient!

BTW, many guys who don't bow hunt are just as serious about hunting as those who bowhunt or do many types of hunting.

I agree with BC it's a tie!
Old 11-09-2004, 03:54 PM

I am a bowhunter, but if I had to take a shot to the chest from a gun or a bow, I'll take the gun.

I do think that the sound of a gun scares the deer more than the string of a bow. Most of the time, I don't think they really know they are hit until they are almost dead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.