Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 too late to put out a trail camera? >

too late to put out a trail camera?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

too late to put out a trail camera?

Old 11-09-2004, 09:41 AM

Default too late to put out a trail camera?

Hi folks,

I just recently found this site and, and just had a couple questions... I want to get one of the 1.3mpx digital trail cameras, but is it too late to use it? Thinking that it'd be unwise to introduce something new to the environment and spook the deer?..reason I'm thinking about it, as that I have found good rubs/scrapes on the land, and just the other night, a person saw a nice buck cross the road near our land....curiousity is setting in

also, is it usefull to rattle during the rut? I'm located in Michigan's U.P. so our rifle season (and the rut) are starting next week. I've never tried calls of any sort before, but am interested in trying this year. I have a bleat-can call along with some doe estrous, and considering a grunt call. I don't plan on using the calls a lot, because I don't know much about their affect yet.

As for my background, this is my 2nd year hunting, after a long hiatus (college, moving away, career, etc...)now I'm back close enough to hunt and have enjoyed getting back into it. Not sure if this will work, but here is a photo of last year's 9pointer, taken second day of season. Thanks in advance for anyone's input, I'm just anxious for the next 3 days to get done so I can start my vacation

**image doesn't work, you can see it here:
http://photos.yahoo.com/buckfu2
Old 11-09-2004, 10:43 AM

Default RE: too late to put out a trail camera?

How long before your season starts there? It wont take the deer long to get use to the camera. So maybe you do have time. As for the calls I dont use them so I have no advice. The only time I have ever had any luck with a grunt is when I had a big 10pt walking away from my area and knew I wasnt gonna have a shot at him unless I did something. So I hit the grunt call about 3 times and he turned and circled back behind my stand about 300 yrds. Then I got my shot. But other than that one time I have never had any luck. Maybe I am just not using it right. They might work in an area where there arent as many does but we have so many here that the bucks arent as aggresive as they are in other places. They dont have to fight over them there are too many.

Old 11-09-2004, 11:03 AM

our rifle season starts next monday, if I get the camera, I'd make the drive up to put it in place this week.

As for the calls, I'm curious about them, but don't want to go out making all kinds of noise that I shouldn't be, or not using correctly. I'm just curious about the use of rattling during rut....from what I read it's more affective in pre rut, and more hit-n-miss during rut ???

I plan on hanging a scent wick, and maybe throwing some very limited blind calls out throughout the day....later on in the week, I may pull out my brother's old bow-hunting target deer, and play around with the calls and scents, just to try and learn a little bit about it all. If I don't get anything, I won't be dissapointed, I'm just looking forward to getting out there, and learning some more.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:07 AM

I would put the camera up. You have time. Our gun season start this Saturday and man I cant wait. I am like a kid at christmas and I get this way every year. I wont sleep a wink friday night. lol. Well good luck with the calls and rattles. Hope you get lucky. Good hunting.