Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 first time Deer hunting....bad experience >

first time Deer hunting....bad experience

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

first time Deer hunting....bad experience

Old 11-10-2004, 09:18 AM

Default RE: first time Deer hunting....bad experience

i agree with the pointing of the gun comment. Quick way to get yourself shot. I've always tried to take the high road in similar situations. Called in more than one gobbler only to have someone else shoot him before he gets to me. One basta#@ even came to thank me after he took a long beard with 13/4" spurs. I just kinda grinned and asked for his address so I could send him a bill.
I would probably go into a loud chorus of "Dixie" if some SOB set up within 100 yards of me in the deer woods. Eventually they'd get sick of my awful voice and move on at which point I'd go silent and hope the deer thought that him leaving was me and feel safe to come out. If they still let good ol fasioned fist fights happen I'd certainly partake but sad to say there are too many nitwits who'd just as soon shoot ya. Ya'll be careful in them woods and hope your freezer gets full!
Old 11-10-2004, 10:59 AM

Hun, come to Wisconsin to hunt, were all more than happy to share with you or anyone else for that matter, especially women and youth. Good luck to you.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:40 PM

ORIGINAL: buckmine

I guess Minnesota nice doesnt include hunting.
It is hard to find nice out in the hunting woods. You should run into some nice folks.

I think using radios is illegal also.....

Pop up blinds on public land isn't safe either.
I've hunted in MN a few times and most (all?) of the folks I've met have been nice and reasonably considerate. I mean, on public land, really it's first come first served, even if you build a stand. That stand is on public land and if a person comes across it, you don't really know if it's a currently used stand or if it's one that was built a couple of years ago and abandoned at this time. You also don't know if the person is going to use it that particular day - and certainly if you build a stand, you can't expect it to "reserve" that spot every day, even if you aren't hunting. It's public land and the other guy has as much right to use it as you do.

On the other hand, I personally would tend to stay away from a stand if I found one in the woods, but I don't subsribe to quasi-personal areas on public land. I feel that if you build a stand on public land, you take your chances.

In fact, I might even venture to say that the regs specifically state this about permanent stands (some regs preclude building perm. stands at all!). You can probably look it up in the MN regs.

That's why I would never build a stand on public land. I invested in a very comfortable and safe climbing stand (Summit Viper) and that's the only way to go on public land, imho. Frankly, I think it's more comfortable, efficient and safer than a lot of lumber-built stands I've been in especially if the lumber stands haven't been carefully checked out and maintained.

On the other hand, if someone is in a stand, common courtesy, to me, means taking your spot at least 100 yds away. You certainly don't plunk down close and/or give the person grief.

As to the radios - in MN, they are only illegal to use "in the taking of game" - e.g. to coordinate a drive, to inform someone of a deer coming towards them, etc. They are perfectly legal for communication in all other situations such as calling for help taking care of a down deer, etc. There are gray areas of course, so it's always smart to use caution when using a radio while hunting. Do a search on this forum for radio and you'll find discussions.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:50 PM

From my little experiences I have noticed when you hunt on public land and you are the new guy it's like you are trespassing on someone's land. You get the cold shoulder and possibly your stand gets destroyed or stolen. For you to move up in the ranks in that particular spot you have to continually stay in the same spots and do the same things year in and year out. You basically have to out last your opponents. Finally something gives...they either get sick and tired and move or they don't hunt any longer.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dr Pepper

Where from Mn are you from?

Why did you pick the Floodwood area?

Hunt further north and the more area you can use by yourself. We had two square miles to ourselves when we hunted up north by Spring Lake north of Deer River.

I might be hunting the third weekend around Remer.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:46 AM

Dr pepper.I cant believe that with all the responses you received,no one pointed out that when you hear the leaves rustling its ok to grap your rifle but never,never take off your safety until you are ready to fire on what you are hunting.

As for the bad hunters,yes they are everyehere and in great numbers.I avoid them best I can.Even hunting on my own posted land I still have to deal with these ignorant idiots because they feel the own the woods,even MY woods.

Good luck to you and your hunting partner...
Old 11-12-2004, 06:47 PM

So we will be heading out again into the great out doors. We have some friends that live in Floodwood. But if we dont get a deer this weekend....who knows maybe Remer. Thanks to all of you, I know this weekend will be a better one for us. If not I guess I will be buying deer meat at Lunds....lol.
If your going out this weekend good luck....if not send meat this way...lol
Dr_pepper
Old 11-22-2004, 07:33 AM

There's a thread out now on 5 hunters killed by a guy that was sitting in one of their stands.....it's a real shame. Like I said earlier----be real careful if pointing a weapon at another. But from what I've read so far---it was an Asian with a SKS or similar----never ever should have happened!!!!! Sure feel bad for the families of the survivors....
Old 11-22-2004, 09:06 AM

I have never had a guy look down on me for hunting here in Indiana, most of them are in awe and many of them are envious of my boyfriend because I hunt with him and I UNDERSTAND the passion. It's very fulfilling when you check your deer in opening day and you have the nicest "rack" there... (NO PUN INTENDED)...

I got a ton of congrats and a lot of men in awe that I took it and not my boyfriend, women hunters are rare in Indiana, in fact, I only know of ONE other than me, and I don't know of any women on this board from Indiana... I'm sure there are some, but I haven't seen them post yet.

I think it's awesome and if you can, get more of your lady friends into, the only way to get certain idiots to understand is numbers... the more women the better, then they will get used to it. AND HOPEFULLY GET THE HECK OVER IT!
Old 11-22-2004, 09:48 AM

There might be another thread on here from the other guy complaining about someone hunting within 50 ft of the spot he has hunted for years and not only did they illegaly build a stand on state land but they baited too.

I really doubt that the other hunter's reaction had anything to do with the fact that your friend was female but more to do with my previous comments. As for the group that decided to sight their rifles during the season, no excuse for that just plain stupid. I would try to find a new area, maybe deeper into the woods and away from the road so you don't have to deal with slob hunters. You will find plenty of A holes hunting public land but you will find plenty of nice and considerate hunters as well so don't give up.

As for approaching people that you have a problem with or hunters that may be trespassing I would leave that up to the authorities. There was a trerrible incident in Wisconsin this weekend that I'm sure everyone will hear about on the news where 5 hunters were killed and 3 injured on their own land by some psycho trespasser. Remember that no hunting spot is worth your life.

Quick Reply: first time Deer hunting....bad experience

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.