Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 first time Deer hunting....bad experience >

first time Deer hunting....bad experience

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

first time Deer hunting....bad experience

Old 11-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: first time Deer hunting....bad experience

stomping mudholes and crazy laughter while pointing your gun at the tree he is in......yep. sounds like hunting on state groundJ/K. good luck with the jerks and stand your ground
Old 11-09-2004, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

My wife hunts and most guys I talk to thinks that is awesome. I think the experience you had didn't have anything to do with your sex but rather hunters trying to stake claim on spots. Biggest issue to public land hunting. Some guys are just plain greedy.

I have always approached anyone who comes upon me right away with a big smile on my face. My first question is "how's you hunt been going so far?" after some intial pleasantries (hopefully) I ask where he and anyone else in his crew REGULARILY hunt. That's the key. If they have always hunted a specific area for years I leave. I ask how far thier "area" extends. If I get an unreasonable answer which basically doesn't give me any options I will ask where they are planning to hunt that particular day. I will then advise them where I will go.

Only once I had to explain the difference between private and public and the spirit of cooperation.

Most times they wish you a good hunt and everyones territory is staked out for the day.

I couldn't imagine just sitting there looking at each other. That might seem quite passive but is so confrontational in a different sort of way.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Using sugar and molasses is illegal in MN.......
Old 11-09-2004, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess Minnesota nice doesnt include hunting.
It is hard to find nice out in the hunting woods. You should run into some nice folks.

I think using radios is illegal also.....

Pop up blinds on public land isn't safe either.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:35 PM

No one knows how to deal with the insane...
Old 11-09-2004, 02:06 PM

2 years ago my wife and i built her a ground blind 3 days before gun season opened, well opening morning we get to our stands and about 20 minutes later here comes joe blow this guy was your typical slob hunter,, he walksa up to my wifes blind and starts to crawl in now for those who have never met my wife she is 5'10" and takes no guff from anyone (raised with 5 brothers) well this sorry piece of human trash starts yelling at her to get her arse back in the kitchen where a woman belongs, that was his biggest mistake at this point my wife turnd on her radio and all 5 of our hunting party heard every word she said, she even went as far as threatening to send him home to his wife with a rifle shoved where the sun dont shine, lol,
well the closest to her was a friend of ours his name is moses and he is in his early 70's well he persuaded this moron that trying to intimadate my wife was futile at best , so mr slob hunter left. well i was perched about 40 feet up in a huge white pine and after about 15 minutes of calm on the radio here he comes sat at the base of the tree i was in i very nicely asked him if he had just got a tongue lashing from a gal in a ground blind which he replied yeah just some sorry arsed b&*%^ well i then let him know that it was my wife he tried to intimidate and that he was in the wrong, well he moved on and sat about 75 yrds east of me
and both of us where overlooking a swamp well as the sun started coming up this guy kept looking at me in his binocs i guess he thought i would be more of a pushover lol ,,, well at about 9 am here comes 4 deer thru the swamp i saw him looking only thing was he couldnt see the deer as they where in a ravene that runs thru the swamp, i had 2 doe tags and as well a buck tag so i decided to take my shot i dropped the scrub buck in his tracks the does didnt even budge so i filled a doe tag as well.
i then smoked a cig and then let everyone know i had 2 down and about 5 minutes later here comes my wife and the rest of the gang we got the deer drug up to the edge of the swamp when this guy walks up and says hey you shot my deer to which my wife replied if you had scouted thew area before opening day you might have gotten a deer but when you guys come out and look for the bowhunters stands and try to push your way in your gonna get an argument,, well needless to say that was 1 unhappy guy but since then he has changed his tactics and has learned that hunters arent alone and that there can be favorable rewards if we all try and just get along,, by the way this guy has begun bow hunting and has even joined our hunting party he finally realized that sometimes you are better having more than yourself to deer hunt with sorry so long winded
Old 11-09-2004, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

thankfully i have never had it out with any guy over a spot, i would definately stand my ground though, and Lord help him if he gets mouthy and tells me i should be in the kitchen, mmm mmm mmmmmmmmmmmmm, that would urk me something fierce........i'd be waiting for him when he checked out that night for sure if i didnt get to say what i wanted too out in the field , with a couple of protectors close by, lol........i've heard my sister go at it a few times and i'm telling ya, she dont back down......if she was there first , it's hers...dont blame her, thankfully most of the men i have met in the woods have been great, i hear the whispers, but that is ok, the ladies that hunt out where i do keep up with the guys that continually bring out critters .....i think it's harder to gain a man's respect in the woods, but when you do, it's forever....i'm sorry youre first time had a damper put on it.....dont let one jerk ruin it for you or her......
Old 11-09-2004, 09:33 PM

You people are so cool....We are going to go hunting again this weekend.
We are hoping alot of hunters filled there tags this week to give us a chance to fill ours.
I was not aware that the sugar and molasses was illgal. Well if I were hunting bear I would have been set. We read the hunting regs. and didnt see anything that said we couldn't. But thanks for letting me know. I dont need trouble yet....lol
A friend of mine was telling me a story of how a hunter was shot because he was telling another hunter to get outta his stand.
Thanks for all your replies I wish I could hunt around or with others like yous.

I love this sight!!!!
Old 11-09-2004, 11:11 PM

Good luck to you and your friend this weekend. And happy hunting.

Old 11-10-2004, 08:40 AM

Standing up for your rights is a good thing....but I would absolutly never, and I mean never, point a rifle at another hunter. Even as an intimidating factor......one of the 2 of you may just end up 6 feet under...and that would really ruin a good hunting season....forever!!!! Good luck with the rest of your season....hope ya bust that big buck!!! Remember there are some real nut cases out there in the world and it don't take much to make them snap......be real careful out in the sticks when every where you go there's folks packing heat!!!!!! You don't want to end up being one of this years statistics!!!!!

Quick Reply: first time Deer hunting....bad experience

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.