Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 first time Deer hunting....bad experience >

first time Deer hunting....bad experience

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

first time Deer hunting....bad experience

Old 11-09-2004, 09:25 AM

Default first time Deer hunting....bad experience

Hi all you deer hunters!
First I have to say how great this sight is this is, all my questions always get answered before I ask them. With that said I know everyone will give advice and let me know that all hunters arnt @$$holes.
I am from Minnesota and hunting Whitetails. About 2 weeks before hunting we went to Floodwood MN. There is some State land up there that they say is great to hunt on. So we found a spot that we thought would be a great plact to build a stand. There were trails all over this area. There was swamp on one side and pine trees on the other and She was going to build her stand on top a little hill full of Popal trees. We walked around the area and saw no other deerstands or markers.So she built her stand . We put out a salt lick with molassas and sugar on top of it. We did this in 2 spots. I myself wanted to try a Pop-up Blind.
Ok so 430 am we were up and ready to head out for the big kill. We drove out to our spots. She helped me with my blind and went on her merry way.
I looked over the spot where i was but decided to move because there was a trail going right through my blind. So I moved up on the ridge about 15 feet from the trail. I sat for a little while and watched the mice and birds.Then I herd this loud russleing a little ways from me.....I grabbed my gun took off the safty. And I watched a Black bear stroll by. I was scared...I never hunted before.Camping yes never seen anything wilder than a fox. Ok so the bear moved on and so did I.
As for my hunting partner....i was sitting once again and herd a shot from her direction....I turned on my radio to see if it was her....nothing. Well after sitting for 5 hours and not seeing anything she came out opf her stand and we had lunch. So she was telling me of another hunter that had built his stand about 50 feet from hers. She saw a doe and he says something loudly and the doe ran off...she said pretty much the whole time he was making all kinds of noise and staring her down every half hour.So we decided to go somewhere else for the evening hunt.
Well needless to say I go set up my blind about 2 pm in a great spot I thought. Right by pine trees and a small lake. I am sitting there for about a half hour and 2 trucks pull up and they decided this would be a good place to sight in there guns. About 100 yards from me. I knoe they had to see me. I wasn't that hidden. So that went on for about an hour.
Well needless to say....almost every hunter we came across were kinda rude and snotty. Are all hunters afraid of women hunting. My friend has been hunting for 30 years or so and has been elk hunting in Colorado twice...and shot a cow...and has shot many deer. This was my first time. So it wasnt like we didnt know what we were doing.
I guess Minnesota nice doesnt include hunting. There are 2 weeks left of hunting here, I really would like to shoot my first one one of those weekends. I just wanted to share this with all of you to see what all of the great hunters had any advice. thanks for reading.
Dr_Pepper
Old 11-09-2004, 09:51 AM

Default RE: first time Deer hunting....bad experience

Dr Pepper, I am the only woman at my deer camp and let me tell you yes some men(not all) are intimadated by women hunters. I think they feel like we should be in the camp cooking and not out hunting. If this had happened to me the first thing I would have done is stand my ground. I wouldnt have moved. Maybe I wouldnt have gotten a deer that day but by golly neither would he. He was trying to intimidate her so she would let him have the spot and it worked. And as for the guys sighting in there guns you should have called them on it. I would have gotten up and said something. Most men would have just moved on. Dont get me wrong there are alot of men out there that respect women hunters but there are some that don't. I have been hunting all my life and have run across alot of them that dont like women hunters. It isnt as bad as it use to be. Please don't let the men stop you from hunting. You have just as much right to be there as they do. And I do know how you feel about the bears. I had 2 come to the base of my deer stand 2 years ago. I was scared too. I just shot over there heads and they ran off. It is illegal to shoot them here. So my advice to you and your freind is stand your ground and keep hunting and hopefully you wont run into anymore a$$holes out there for awhile.

Old 11-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

No not all hunters that way. Just like anything else there is always a idiot around. I wish my wife could hunt yet.She was very good at it when she did.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I suppose I wouldn't be too excited about having my treestand already up and someone coming along and sitting in a tree 50 feet from me either (man or woman).
Old 11-09-2004, 10:33 AM

I find this in just about every public hunting area you always seem to run into the slob hunters who think they own the place and they become real arse holes. I am not afraid to tell them what I think either.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I truely believe not enough people "wig out" anymore. Because if they did more people would have better manners than to act like this. If that guy would have done that to me, be it public property or not, I would have waited on him at the base of that tree and stomped a mud hole in his @ss even if it requied wrapping my gun barrell around his head in order to do so. It's called an attitude adjustment and it'll work every time (to borrow a line from Hank Jr.). Yea, you may go to jail for a couple of days and pay a few fines but think how much better you will feel and how much better off society will be. I bet that guy would never pull that crap with another living soul as long as he lived. Sometimes you just have to take one for the team (the human race) and kick someones teeth out. Yes, it's harsh but you either let people get buy with that crap and become a victim or you fight back. I personally would have waited at the bottom of the tree and when they got one step from the bottom I would crack them in the knee with my stock and then I would have proceded to beat them until my hands were sore at which point I would have kicked them until my feet were sore at which point I would have made a hasty retreat from the area. You can call me whatever you want but if you don't come messing with me then ai don't "wig out" if you do come messing with me, you better have a sack lunch. If there were more people in the world like me you wouldn't have to worry about people acting like this.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

LOL dam silent having a rough day?? I'm not saying I would've acted like the guy did, but don't you agree that 50 feet is a little close? What happens when a deer comes by? Both open fire and a race out of the stand to see who claims the deer? I honestly don't know what the ethical thing to do in a situation like that is. I hunt private land and never been an issue for me. But what do you do if someone climbs a tree that's 50 feet away from you? I can't picture myself sitting there hunting.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:54 AM

Well this is the differance between woman hunters and men. As a woman you cant very well wait on a man to beat the daylights out of now can we. But we must stand up for ourselves anyway. This is why men try to push us out of the way. They know that physically we cant make them move. But we can be just as irratating as they can so I say stay there and make sure he doesnt see any deer either.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:02 AM

Perhaps we all think too much.

Id suggest you next time start to act a little crazy...sing..singing is good....maybe some Christmas Carols. Then do some jumping jacks....maybe hold rifle up to your eye and go BANG BANG then laugh hysterically...act like someone is with you...have a conversation, tell them to hush....and every now and then point gun right at his tree base...slowly raise it uo the tree till he is in scope...then giggle...

Please dont judge all hunters by this moron.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:10 AM

Crazy is good.

Quick Reply: first time Deer hunting....bad experience

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.