Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Homemade Scent Neutalizer

Old 11-13-2004, 10:24 AM

Default RE: Homemade Scent Neutalizer

I'll let you in on the secret......military surplus chemical suits......same as scentloc.......charcoal filled.........cheap $5-$15......don't tell anyone!
Old 11-13-2004, 08:43 PM

I started a thread on a similar topic regarding scent nuetralizer with no response. Do you drive to your hunting site and get dressed or will my 1/2 hour drive in camo then apply scent nuetralizer be ok. Hope to get some responses on this thread.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:09 AM

Roman; I have 3 of them ---1 camo and 2 plain green.... And yes, they do work like a champ!!! Got them all on ebay and the price is really right!!!.... Only thing I change on them is placeing a section of cloth over the velcro on all pockets and useing safety pins to hold it in place. They are so noisey opening the pockets that a deer can hear it a mile away!!! Those are quality suits!!!
Old 11-14-2004, 10:48 AM

Stronski:
For bow season I try to dress when I get to my hunting spot. I carry everything in plastic tubs with lids. My stand and blind fit into 55gl plastic bags. I spray the inside of my car down and remove any air freshners. Once I get gressed I spray down my person as well as backpack and treestand or blind.

Metalback:
Do you wear yours when it's warm out? Are they hot? What do you wear under/over yours?

I got one this year but haven't used it yet.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:42 PM

I've been hunting for a year and I think that my scent has always scared the deer away, because I know that they are there.I sit and wait but no deer.I also hunt on the ground with a homemade cover. Will this Neutralizer kill my scent alone or should I use a scent cover after i apply the neutralizer?

Signed....never killed a deer.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:40 PM

Nothing wrong with using a cover but if you smell invisible I don't see the need for it. Just my opinion.

It might not be your "smell" that's keeping them away. Luck is always a factor. Be patient.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:31 AM

Roman; Yes I wore it when it was hot at the start of the season (oct 1 here in Arkansas) and yes it was hot in the suit even with just a tee shirt under it untill my body temp leveled out sitting up in my stand, then it wasn't too awfully bad. They say that they are larger than you think but I've found that isn't really true. I have 2 large suits and one extra large for cold weather so I can put more clothes on under it. I'm 5'9" and weight 160 if that does you any good. They sure seem to work like a champ cause it's a very rare occation that I get winded---but I hunt out of a tree lounge too. The tree I've been useing lately isn't that tall though and I've been about 20 feet up and having loads of deer walking under me so I think the suits have alot to do with it. And I've been useing one of the suit since Oct 1 and still haven't put it in the dryer to regenerate it, just hung it out on the line, and it seems to work great. The extra large is good for wearing warmer clothes under it for sure cause then you have lots more arm and shoulder room to draw your bow. The ones I have have charcole hoods attached too and that is real nice for the loads of scent that comes out of the top of a guys head. Anyway, for the price I'd get one for warm weather and a larger one for cold weather.... Have a great bow season!!!!
Old 11-15-2004, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

Here's a procedure I use to remain scent free that I will swear by as I've had too many deer and foxes get way too close to me from the downwind side to deny its effectiveness:

Wash your clothing in baking soda and dry with a little baking soda sprinkled into the load. If you want to keep the material supple, throw a couple earth scent dryer sheets in the dryer too. Spray down the inside and outside of all your clothes with the homemade scent killer and store in a plastic bag until you get to hunting spot. Sprinkle some baking soda into your boots, then hit the insides with scent killer. Store in the bag too.

Shower the morning of the hunt in the green Hunters Specialties soap used in the scent killer recipe.

Once at your hunting location (right out of the car), get dressed, gargle with a hydrogen peroxide/baking soda rinse, then finally spray yourself down from head to toe with the scent killer. Pay particular attention to your boots, pits, and crotch!

I had a fox wander to within 10 feet of my downwind side at ground level with this get-up while walking to my stand. I had a red flashlight and he was absolutely clueless that I was there. If it can fool a fox at 10 feet, it's good enough for deer! I've been in between several sets of deer at ground level too, and again, they were clueless. We're talking a few yards away and downwind. I've seen a dramatic difference in deer sightings the last two years with this technique/recipe.

The best thing about this is that it's CHEAP! No fancy clothing or chemicals. The most expensive thing is the four dollar bottle of green soap from Walmart. This has dual purpose though and is used to shower with as well as in the scent killer recipe. One bottle works all season.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just got in from a ground blind after using this "homemade" scent eliminator and I'm a believer. Also tried the military chemical suit with it. I had three does within 15 yards of me and they were clueless of me in a fallen oak. Now if they would have called their boyfriend to join them I would really have a story to tell.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:07 AM

Great!

You were really taking care of business by using a blind as well!

Good stuff.

Quick Reply: Homemade Scent Neutalizer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.