Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Homemade Scent Neutalizer

Old 11-08-2004, 09:47 PM

Default Homemade Scent Neutalizer

I am planning on brewing some this week and wondered wouldn't using H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) bleach your hunting clothes? Or is it diluted to the point where it has absolutly no bleaching properties at all? Quality camo clothes arent cheap and would rather be safe and not ruin them if theres a chace of the camo patterns getting lightened.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:23 AM

Default RE: Homemade Scent Neutalizer

I've been using the formula that has been posted here the last few months.

There was some discussion as to wether or not to use the drug store 3% hydrogen peroxide or the stronger stuff used in pools or from a professional hair salon.

I decided that I would try the cheap stuff first and it works great! I have seen no bleaching of my camo at all. The only side effect of this recipe is that you will have some white residue from the baking soda. This stuff works better then the store bought stuff!

I made tuna for lunch one day and had that terrible fish smell on my fingers afterwards. I thought I would test the new batch I just made up. I sprayed it on and it was instant. No smell at all! Kind of freaky, really.

Go with the cheap stuff and save some money.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:27 AM

Yepper. . I made my first gallon and used it opening weekend, cost me $3. It sure does leave a nice salt like residue on any hard surface. But No issues with my scent.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:29 AM

Sounds good! What is the recipe?
Old 11-12-2004, 11:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Peroxide , which will bleach things is different than hydrogen peroxide which is H202. Hydrogen preoxide will not bleach your close, actually it will turn to 02 gas and water once exposed to light. I would not worry about it.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:25 PM

This is the one that I got off this board. Don't recall who posted it but thx to whomever did. I like it. Here it is word for word:

1 gallon distilled water (or clean creek water, just no chlorines or iodines in it)
1/2 box of baking soda
16 oz peroxide
2 shot glasses of Hunters Specialty green liquid soap

Pour out enough water from a gallon jug to get the other stuff in and let it fizz for a while after mixing (about 1 hour or the top will pop off). Then just transfer to a spray bottle and you're set.

Note: Use an opaque bottle to make and store it in. Apparently, peroxide turns to water when light hits it, a fact I wasn't initially aware of.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, it will not fade your camo.

However...one thing I have noticed, and have researched a little...

This homemade brew will start to bleach out leather, especially if it has been treated with a waterproof repellant (like Mink oil, Nikwax, etc.).

The peroxide scavenges some of the "elements" of the waterproof compound, and will eventually permeate and oxidize the leather. This can be reversed, and can be solved by applying more waterproofing....but do take note that it may adversely affect your leather apparel, and will eventually make your "waterproof" boots very water soluble...

I have not found any adverse effects on synthetics including neoprene, microfiber, polyester, nylon or composites. I have also not noticed any ill effects on fleece, cotton, or wool.

The original recipe, as posted by Nub about 4 years ago, is as follows:

2 quarts distilled water
2 quarts H2O2
1 cup baking soda
1-2 oz of scent-free liquid soap.

I experimented a little, and found you don't really need the soap (which becomes reactive with the H2O2 and induces much of the foaming) and the baking soda can be reduced to as little as 1/2 cup and increased to 2 cups, depending on how long you want it to "brew". Basically, the more time for "brewing", the less bicarbonate (baking soda) you need.

But basically, the chemistry breaks down to:

The H2O2 scavenges all the free radicals, which form most of the "smell" molecules.
The baking soda, or bicarbonate, acts as a buffer and helps to absorb the reactive scavengers...as compared to carbon, which adsorbs.
The soap, when used, helps to saponify the dirt and molecules which binds them together for longer lasting effect.

S&R
Old 11-12-2004, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

"free radicals"? are we makeing scent spray or staging a coup
Old 11-12-2004, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the info, going try this out sometime
Old 11-13-2004, 06:47 AM

I tried the reciepe for it from this thread and it DOES work like a champ!!!! No more buying 7 dollar bottles at Walmart!!! Now if we could just get one of these bio-chemist from here to figure out how to impregnate my nasty old blood stained camo coveralls with charcole----I'd save a ton and be one happy camper!!!! The guys from Realtree and Advantage Camo would be **** their drawers if anyone could figure out how to do home made carbon-charcole clothing!!!! Come on you master minds out there.....I know we have a few chemist inventors out there in cyber land!!!...

Quick Reply: Homemade Scent Neutalizer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.