Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 After shooting a deer with a bow, how long do you wait to go find it >

After shooting a deer with a bow, how long do you wait to go find it

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

After shooting a deer with a bow, how long do you wait to go find it

Old 11-08-2004, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default After shooting a deer with a bow, how long do you wait to go find it

After shooting a deer with a bow, How long do you wait to go find it.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:08 AM

Default RE: After shooting a deer with a bow, how long do you wait to go find it

I usually wait at the very least 45 min but prefer to wait closer to an hour. If u go to soon you'll jump the deer and make it harder to track.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: After shooting a deer with a bow, how long do you wait to go find it

GREATLY depends on where you hit the deer. There is no rule of thumb. A lot depends on examining the arrow and analyzing the deer after it was hit and being able to follow the flight of the arrow and seeing where it was hit, replaying the shot in your mind and being attentive to if it was a solid good hit. Listening to the sound of impact, what kind of blood you have, etc...

Double lung: die within sight or IMO 1-2 hours (deer aint going anywhere if he's dead better safe than sorry)
Hear: ditto
Single lung: 4 hours at least and deer can still travel a long way
Liver: 4-6 hours
Gut: go home and get some rest and some buddies and come back in 8 hours and search like heck.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Varies like already said
Old 11-08-2004, 08:58 AM

I use the info i know. Based on where i hit the deer and what kind of blood i have. Weather conditions will sometimes make you go sooner.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

Its always good when you watch em fall.... But it depends on the shot
Old 11-08-2004, 05:09 PM

it all depends to me on how my shot was and how the animal acts.weather also plays a part.
most of the time a double lung will die within sec.less than a min.liver within an hr. gut it takes several hrs. most times.
JMHO
Old 11-10-2004, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

It depends on the shot.. but a well hit deer i usually wait about half hour.. depending on the weather
Old 11-10-2004, 10:16 AM

even when im rifle hunting i never go in before an hour...just my opinion though.....
Old 11-10-2004, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on shot placement,double lung shot I wait at least 30 to 45min...

Quick Reply: After shooting a deer with a bow, how long do you wait to go find it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.