Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 New Deer Gun S&W 41 Mag Model 657 >

New Deer Gun S&W 41 Mag Model 657

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Deer Gun S&W 41 Mag Model 657

Old 11-07-2004, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Default New Deer Gun S&W 41 Mag Model 657

I went to the local gun show in lexington NC yesterday.

And I got a Smith&Wesson catalog and looking in it and come across,

There Model 657 Classic Hunter Revolver in 41 Magnum.

That gun looks so sweet.

So What Do All Of You Think Of It For Deer Hunting?

Thank You

jrbsr

Click Here - Smith&Wesson - Click Here

Old 11-07-2004, 10:44 PM

Default RE: New Deer Gun S&W 41 Mag Model 657

Mighty fine hand gun but for that price Id rather buy a rifle.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:02 AM

I have a S&W model 57 with a 8 3/8" bbl that i have had since about 1987 it's a good gun and i wouldnt sell it . but would i buy S&W now?? probably not!
i know suggest retail is just that but still S&W prices are out of this world.

If i was going to buy another hand cannon i would buy a real hand cannon a ruger super redhawk in 454 casull for alot less.

But for handgun deer hunting the 41 mag is more than enough gun.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:33 AM

The .41 Mag is one of my all-time favorite handgun cartridge, and is deadly wicked on our NC whitetail. I have two Ruger single actions and one Marlin lever action carbine in this caliber. I now use a Limited edition Ruger Stainless Blackhawk Hunter in .41 that was sold only by Davidson's, mounted with a Weaver 2X scope this the sweetest setup I have ever used. From the time handgun hunting became legal in NC I have done most of my deer hunting with one and excusivly in .41 Mag. In that Time I have tagged aroung 25 deer with the .41, and have never lost one, or had one go more than 50 yards after being hit. Handgun hunting requires self-control and lots of practice but I find it very rewarding. As far as loads, I use Hornady 210 gr. XTP bullets loaded to around 1350 FPS. I zero 1 inch high at 50 yards and good to go for any situation that I am comfortable with out to 100 yards. The .41 shoots a little flatter with less recoil and is just as accurate as a .44 Mag. Altough I prefer single actions for hunting the S&W is a very fine revolver especially now that the company is back in American hands.........Good hunting.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:24 AM

jrbsr - I've had a S&W .41 mag for a little over a year now and love it. It's not the same model (mine has a 7 & 1/2 barrel), but I'm familiar with the model you're referring to. I haven't been lucky enough to take any deer with mine (yet), but I ran into a fella at the range two weeks ago that I believe has the same model you are looking at. He also shoots a 210 grain bullet (his are hand loaded) and reports he's never had a problem bringing down deer. When I bought my S&W I was actually looking at a Ruger Super Blackhawk, but my brother in-law (who shoots Rugers) suggested I consider the S&W because of how smooth the trigger is. Out of the box there really is a difference, although I'm sure a good gunsmith could change that. Anyway, I really like my gun and am quite happy with it.