Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How necessary is a stand?

Old 11-07-2004, 09:56 AM

Default RE: How necessary is a stand?

Treestands are not at all necessary. I have used treestands before, but I didn't like it and it didn't help my odds. When I decide to sit and watch an area, I either make a natural blind or just sit at the bottom of a tree. It helps some to be concealed by brush, but if you are statue still it really doesn't matter. Deer won't see you if you don't move. Scent control helps, and if possible try to keep the wind in your favor. If you did your scouting and you are in a good spot, it doesn't matter if you're in a tree or on the ground IMO. It's just a matter of personal preference.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

You will see more deer from a stand.

You will increase your odds of obtaining a better shot...brush and tree trunks may block your shot from the ground, whereas from a tree most "obstructions" are branches (most of the time).

You will be able to move more on stand, you may get away with less-efficient scent control, and you will be better able to blend into your environment (especially if wearing hunter orange during gun season).

With that said, I've killed many deer from the ground. I have, and actually prefer on large tracts of land, to stalk with the bow during the early season when they are less active.

But during the rut, just get a good "spot", ie. next to well traveled doe highways, food sources, rublines, or water---be patient, don't move and pick a spot for the shot.

On the ground you will have to be more cautious with movement, be more alert (as deer will appear quicker due to the lower vantage point) and possibly quicker on the draw...but don't go buy a $200 stand just to "hunt"...you don't need it to get out there...
Old 11-07-2004, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I sit on the edges of agricultural fields or on fencelines if I am going to wait for game to pass or come out to feed.For my hunting a stand is not at all necessary.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me hunting from a stand or not depends on the season. When bowhunting, I always use my climbing stand and probably wouldn't go hunting without it considering the bow is a short range weapon. When rifle season comes in I never use a stand because I like to be mobile because my 270 allows me to close the distance. Everyone has their likes and dislikes I guess.