Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Thought from "Big Tex Bucks" post.... >

Thought from "Big Tex Bucks" post....

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Thought from "Big Tex Bucks" post....

Old 11-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Thought from "Big Tex Bucks" post....

Yep them there south Texas buck,Miss that place I do
Old 11-05-2004, 07:23 PM

Ihook7:

What ranch are you hunting on? Hopefully after this weekend you will be the new leader in one of the divisions. Good luck to you this season.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well there is at least one old hunter who believes in harvesting Does. ME. I shoot 90 percent or more does. Better eating and someone has to do it. Horns don't eat well and I have no where to hangem up.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:08 PM

James B:

LOL, there is always somebody trying to rain on somebody elses parade.

You can rest assured that all the bucks in my thread (which started this one) where taken from a ranch that probably removes any where from 100-200+ does each year. Last year I personally took well over 12 does, this year I'll probably take around 20. This is actually another reason why south Texas produces so many big bucks year after year, the hunters down here do there part in culling out does. When your property has a 1:1 buck to doe ratio, or a 1:2 buck to doe ratio, you can tell that the does are getting whacked just like there suppose to.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:47 PM

You can rest assured that all the bucks in my thread (which started this one) where taken from a ranch that probably removes any where from 100-200+ does each year. Last year I personally took well over 12 does, this year I'll probably take around 20. This is actually another reason why south Texas produces so many big bucks year after year, the hunters down here do there part in culling out does. When your property has a 1:1 buck to doe ratio, or a 1:2 buck to doe ratio, you can tell that the does are getting whacked just like there suppose to.
Amen! My partner and I HAVE to kill eight does this year, in addition to our trophy and management bucks. Also have to kill our share of culls. Actually, our contract says eight, we will likely have to kill at least twelve. If we don't the landowner starts to get threatening: "well, if you boys won't take care of business, I'll have to replace you with someone who will!"
Old 11-06-2004, 10:26 PM

If so many big bucks come out of south texas, then why isnt Boone and crockett being flooded with entries? or is everything high fenced so you can't enter it? i personally wouldnt want to pay thousands to shoot a buck and not be able to enterhim in the books.As far as texas being teh best for mature bucks, i would probably have to agree with that. teh biggest bucks? no. south texas ain't got nothin on the midwest.

slayer
Old 11-06-2004, 11:47 PM

Deerslayer_37:

If so many big bucks come out of south texas, then why isnt Boone and crockett being flooded with entries?
There are three reasons why I think Texas is behind other states when it comes to B&C book entries.

#1. The only part of Texas that consistenly produces B&C class bucks is south Texas. When you look at a map, this portion of the state is small compared to the rest. When you look at some of the Mid-Western states, there usually pretty balanced when it comes to producing big bucks. If all of Texas was as good as South Texas, then this state would blow all the other ones out of the water.

#2. The Mid-Western states have whitetails from border to border, every county has them. In Texas this is not the case. Alittle fact that most nonresidents do not know about, is that 30% of Texas does not have whitetail deer. Those regions of the state cant not support whitetail deer and/or these regions are out of the whitetails range.

#3. I think this is probably the most important reason. Alot of the whitetails prime habitat is being high fenced. Some of these ranches werent high fenced, but still produced B&C class deer in the "drought free" years, but then somebody decided to high fence the ranch which made all future deer unable to make the books. Alot of the high fenced ranches would still produce B&C deer even if the high fence wasent there. If south texas didnt have so many high fences then this state would rank alot higher then it already does. If B&C ever does allow high fence deer into its record books, then you can rest assure that Texas would probably be the #1 B&C producing state. For example last year there were 27 TYPICAL whitetails taken from south Texas that netted high enough to make the B&C books, but only 5 of them did because the rest came from high fenced ranches. Some of these ranches are several thousand acres, most are tens of thousands of acres, but since they have an 7-8 foot tall fence unstead of a 4 foot tall fence all deer are enable to make the book. But most people down here dont care.

i personally wouldnt want to pay thousands to shoot a buck and not be able to enterhim in the books.
Maybe so, but I think most people around here are like me. Everybody wants to shoot a buck that has a high gross/net B&C score but most of us dont care if we make the "official" book or not. Tell you the truth, I would much rather win the MUY GRANDE deer contest in Freer Texas then to get my name printed in the B&C book. The "book" really dosent matter to me, but the muy grande contest........now thats something to brag about.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:57 PM

Charley:

Since this has been such a great year, the does all seem to have twins (atleast here). So I'll probably have to make up for the "surplus" of deer and use more MLD tags then I have in years past. I really havent seen that many cull bucks but I'm sure we'll end up with 20-30 by the end of the year.

I've heard reports of bucks showing interest in the does already, have you noticed anything unusual so far? We did find something on a Duval co. ranch that I never excepted to find this early in the year. Around Halloween two of our mature bucks got in a fight and locked up. One had a broken neck and died about 2-3 days before the other one. The buck with the broken neck was almost completely eaten by coyotes, the other one was partially eaten. The skulls were facing back to back, very rare. I've never seen or heard of bucks in this area fighting this early in the year, I was wondering if you have??

Anyway good luck this season, I hope you fill your quota and find a true brush country monarch.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:57 AM

Actually, I don't hunt the brush country, I hunt in a pretty remote part of Edwards county. Area is kind of a confluence of South Texas/ West Texas/ hill country. Biggest buck taken from this ranch is a 165, 140s and up are not uncommon. This year we have seen several 150s, and a couple in the 170/180 class. Low fenced, but well managed. Maybe not brush country bucks, but my lease fee for the season is less than many three day hunts down south, and the rules concerning family and guests are very relaxed. It's a nice honey hole, and I'm not going to get more specific!

Haven't noticed any real rut behavior yet. Not chasing does seriously, and the bucks are still grouping together with no tendency to fight. Should change in the next week or so, though.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:38 PM

I don't hunt in south Texas, I hunt in central/west Texas around Junction. Anyway, just got back from opening weekend (just rode 7hrs in a truck to get back[:'(]) and saw a buck chasen some does and also a nice wide 8pt with G2 and G3 broken on the right side. Im guessing this is from fighting? So I guess the rut is startin early? Maybe cause of all the rain.