Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Need advice from ALL  of you!  help me! >

Need advice from ALL of you! help me!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need advice from ALL of you! help me!

Old 01-07-2002, 07:04 AM

Default Need advice from ALL of you! help me!

As I have mentioned recently, I have been hunting near an active scrape on a ridge. For three mornings, I got all the way almost to it, each time spooking one deer at the last minute. never saw it. one day I had 3 doe come up on me a little while later. saturday, I again tried--entering VERY slowly. I got the furthest I had ever gotten--until the deer ran from BEHIND me! It let me pass, then ran. I am hoping it is a buck. I went on in, and 30 minutes later, 5 doe came up right on top of me and the scrape. they finally smelled me (got within 10 yds) and ran.
MY QUESTION--I have no problem getting within 30 yds or so of the "bedding deer" each morning. I just always have the desire to get real close. SHOULD I BE CONTENT WITH GETTING THAT CLOSE, AND JUST GO AHEAD AND SET UP THERE? I can see the ridge and scrape area from there. It's just not far enough into the woods where I can see a long way. the scrape itself is only about 60 yds from the road (a private, dirt road). I can park and walk right in. after 4 straight mornings of spooking it, I am confident it is there every day. I simply cannot get into the area any further without spooking it.
thanks-
Old 01-07-2002, 07:55 AM

Default RE: Need advice from ALL of you! help me!

If you are using a rifle you are plenty close. even if you are using a bow you are close enough to watch the deer movments. A word of caution deer will pattern hunters just as we try to pattern them. If you know they are there and are bedded get close enough to watch which way they go as they get up? Then set up in that direction the next day. You don't have to rush in. It is safer to have the deer come to you. Watch the wind as you enter thier area. About how far in the woods you feel you have to be? Be happy how close it is. A smart buck is very tricky. If there is less pressure on the edge of the woods that is where he will be. You don't have to hike in 4 miles to find the big ones. Also It sound like he may be waiting for you every morning. He's bedding down facing he way you enter just waitng for you to show, try to enter from another angle or direction.

EAT What You Harvest, Mobrandy
Old 01-07-2002, 08:04 AM

thanks mobrandy--
yeah, it is real close to road. do you think it might be a buck? it waits til I get right up on it, then bolts. I found a huge set of tracks in the road (where he seems to bolt towards). so I should set up where I do not spook him, but can still see the area it is in? thanks--
Old 01-07-2002, 08:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mobrandy has an excellent suggestion, if you are gun hunting find a shooting lane 40-50 yards back from him and be patient. You have jumped him often enough to where you should know the direction he is going, try setting up from that direction if yhe wind is in your favor. Are you gun or bow hunting?

The Tazman
Old 01-07-2002, 08:40 AM

thanks tazman. .3006 bolt action. 3 times, the deer ran down in the big hollow that empties into a pine thicket. saturday, it waited til I was past, and ran the other way towards the road and green field.
the real problem is this--there is no permanent stand there and I have no climbing stand. I have had success with ground hunting (the doe got within 10 yds), but I just cannot see as far--UNLESS I BACK OFF AND SIT CLOSER TO THE ROAD. the road is a ridge too, of course. I will do this. any more suggestions, I would appreciate.
Mobrandy has an excellent suggestion, if you are gun hunting find a shooting lane 40-50 yards back from him and be patient. You have jumped him often enough to where you should know the direction he is going, try setting up from that direction if yhe wind is in your favor. Are you gun or bow hunting?

The Tazman
[/quote]
Old 01-07-2002, 09:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you are using an 06 you should back off at least 50 yards to allow you more than one shooting lane, get up on the ridge to allow you as good a view as possible of the area. You do not need to be able to see the scrape, just make sure you can see as many travel lanes near him as possible, and remember the wind.

The Tazman
Old 01-07-2002, 09:56 AM

If you plan to make a ground blind becareful! Don't disturb too much around there. You will tip the deer off. Find some trees or a stump even a rock to use as a back drop so you are not standing out in the open. With out changing too much of the area. Remember you are in his house, If you move the TV set he will know. As you sit plan ahead look for natural shooting lanes. Think to yourself?? What if he comes from this side? or what if he is moving this fast can I shoot this way? Run some mock situation in your head. What ever you plan, Plan on the deer doing the oppisite. As if I think it is a buck? I don't have enough info to say? I will say that bucks will check scrapes by sent checking. Walking down wind and not even coming close.

Old 01-07-2002, 10:22 AM

thanks
no blind, just on ground with tree backstop. it worked sat. (with doe).
I see all sorts of bedded down spots on the edges of the ridge down in the hollows.
but this one is always alone.
thxs

If you plan to make a ground blind becareful! Don't disturb too much around there. You will tip the deer off. Find some trees or a stump even a rock to use as a back drop so you are not standing out in the open. With out changing too much of the area. Remember you are in his house, If you move the TV set he will know. As you sit plan ahead look for natural shooting lanes. Think to yourself?? What if he comes from this side? or what if he is moving this fast can I shoot this way? Run some mock situation in your head. What ever you plan, Plan on the deer doing the oppisite. As if I think it is a buck? I don't have enough info to say? I will say that bucks will check scrapes by sent checking. Walking down wind and not even coming close.

[/quote]