HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Problem with flinching (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/77499-problem-flinching.html)

Deerhugger11 10-31-2004 12:29 AM

Problem with flinching

I've been shooting the 30.06 for a few years now, taken 2 deer with it in the past 2 seasons, but the lil question I'm wondering about is happening at the range.

at 200 yards I'm pulling my shots to the right about 2" - 3" (right handed shooter) My dad shoots it right on. The trigger is a hair trigger that has been filed down, and I always take lots of time when shooting. Breath control and squeezing the trigger rather than pulling it. So I'm certain it has nothing to do with moving the gun while pulling the trigger.

But I do know in the back of my mind. The recoil of the gun may be a lil much for me. In the field I don't notice it because of the adrenaline and such, but on the range... it's there, in the back of my mind. And I'm fairly certain that I'm flinching a little bit just before the gun fires.

I guess my question would be... how can I help solve this mental issue of mine? I wear ear protection and the sound doesn't bother me. I don't have the luxury of going to a lower calibre, it's the only rifle I can use that has a scope. I use a 30-30 with iron sights and I don't have the same problem.

Would shooting more rounds with the 30.06 help me? Or perhaps make things worse? I wear a sweater with a jacket when I shoot, its usually pretty cold anyways.

Anything would help guys, I don't notice the recoil in the field at all, I pick a spot and squeeze the trigger, like a reflex. But when I get to putting holes in paper, I've always shot that rifle a few inches right. My dad questioned me on it today and I mentioned that maybe the gun had a little too much recoil for me and then he got all macho on me... telling me that I should shoot the 12 gauge with 3" magnums and that I should grow up. -.-

~Deer Hugger

dvdegeorge 10-31-2004 02:39 AM

RE: Problem with flinching

Deerhuger,If you are consistently shooting 2 or 3 inches to the right maybe you need a little adjustment to your scope,your fathers hold or sight picture may be slightly different than yours.If you determine that you are flinching a bit at the range,invest in a better recoil pad,or do as I do use a recoil pad.I just stuff a piece of foam rubber under my shirt when doing range work.It may not be macho but I'll take the tighter groups and no sore shoulder over macho any day.And yes I shoot a 12 gauge with high velocity slugs and it nocks the snot from your nose,but I don't have to enjoy it;)

JerseyJim 10-31-2004 04:31 AM

The only thing I can think to tell you about flinching is squeeze the trigger slowly. Let the report of the gun suprise you! I was always taught to shoot this way and every time I shoot those words go through my head! (let the report of the gun suprise you).... Forget about the macho thing. People waist too much time trying to impress other people! Thats not what hunting or shooting is about! You do whats right for you and let the macho man do whats right for him....good luck....Jim

SC Swampbird 10-31-2004 05:36 AM

What grain bullet are you shooting with the .30-06? Heavy bullets will have more recoil, so a lighter bullet, with less recoil may help. A 30-06 with 125gr. loads should have about the same recoil/performance as my .270 with 130gr. loads....

timbercruiser 10-31-2004 08:07 AM

Don't know if it will help, but I put a Limb Saver recoil pad on my rifle and it really cut down on the recoil. Think it was about $26, but it was well worth it.

whiskeysnoot 10-31-2004 09:37 AM

I would suggest getting a PAST recoil pad that slips on and off your shoulder over your clothes. Go ahead and get the Mag recoil pad. Will make bench shooting much more enjoyable.

2-3 inches off at 200 yds? This could easily be a parallax problem. If your scope is not parallax free at this distance then you and your dad could be looking through the scope differently. To see if it is parallax, set the gun up solidly in a rest w/ the crosshairs on the target. Without touching the gun move your head back and forth past the eyepiece and see if the crosshairs move on the target.

But if you are shooting good consistent groups with it, adjust the scope for you and go on.

Deerhugger11 10-31-2004 11:05 AM

Thanks guys.

My dad did mention that sight picture might be slightly different for me. It was sighted in by him. I never gave that a lot of thought though.

I'm gonna try to find something to help cut down on the recoil like whiskey said and if I'm still off to the right consistently, I guess it's just how I'm holding it and where my eye is positioned behind the scope.

Oh, and Swampbird, I'm shooting 165 grain

~Deer Hugger

aroundtheblock 10-31-2004 12:58 PM

A very close colleague of mine has a website that may help you. Here is a link

Click Here

I hope this helps. One thing I can tell you is that it isn't the recoil. You would be pushing your shoulder into the but of the rifle causing you to push down and left.

Good Luck and let me know if this helps any.

troutdudes 10-31-2004 02:29 PM

Well, I'm 13,and I shoot a 12 gauge 3" with no problems. But I haven't shot a deer gun yet.

skin290 11-01-2004 08:04 AM

I like the lighter bullet idea, I have always thought that is why my slugs hit so hard. Troutdude...try 3" magnum deer slugs...they will knock you over compared to 3 " shot loads. The recoil from Partition Gold 2 3/4 is so bad it rattles my scope mounts (the screws) loose! Unlike what my dad says is common, the more you shoot, the more you flinch, I seem to flinch less after 3 shots or so (those slugs are the only thing that I use that will make me flinch). I use a small sandbag btw my shoulder and gun to lessen it, and it is not good form (parallax-wise, etc.), but I only need to hit deer vitals at 100 yards, and that it will do...I wish I was only 2-3 " off at 200 yds, but not allowed to use my .308 in IL. Enjoy the confidence and accuracy that rifle (not shotgun) hunting provides and always remember your shotgun-limited deer hunting brothers in IL, Iowa, and other places when you get to use that deadly '06.

Good luck