Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Slug guns vs. Rifle for deer

Old 10-30-2004, 05:45 PM

Default Slug guns vs. Rifle for deer

I posted this at another forum but only got one response, what would you use in this case, I live in michigan and hunt in a swamp, there is very thick brush around...i have always used a rifle but the maximum range for a shot is probably 130 yards, most deer are taken within 100 yards though, there are lots of little branches and sticks in the way...and shooting light 100 grain bullets those branches and sticks become a problem when you take a little bit extended shots, I have just gotten a Ultra Slug hunter with a 1.5-4.5x scope on it, it shoots 1 1/2" to 2" groups at 50 yards using sabot slugs, anyways...what would be the pros and cons to using a sabot slug instead of a rifle in this type of hunting, also it is froma tree stand, what would you use, i want to use the new gun but i want other peoples opinions on this... what would you use in this situation, slug or rifle?
Old 10-30-2004, 05:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Slug guns vs. Rifle for deer

simple for me anyway.the slug gun in thick brush hands down.As far as I'm concerned all pros for the slugger in thicket.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I could use a rifle I would. Makes no difference what I'm hunting, thick or open country. A rifle like a 308, or any deer rifle really, hits harder than a slug. You may want to consider setting the rifle up for the area you hunt, kind of like the low power scope setup you have on the slug gun, or even a peep sight.

You can usually find a hole to sneak a bullet through, and I think I'd rather try to make a 75 - 100 yd shot with a rifle. That's my opinion.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

What type of rifle do you shoot? From the 100 grain bullets you talked about, I'm guessing a .243 Win? If you were shooting a slightly beefier rifle, I would say the rifle. The accuracy is better and that makes a difference, even at short range. Plus, you can't beat the hydrostatic shock imparted by a high powered rifle. Shot placement is everything, but a bullet mushrooming in the lungs and heart at 3000fps sure knocks their socks off.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:29 PM

Im shooting a 6mm reminton, i like it but every deer ive shot, it shoots right through it and it runs a lil ways so i figure i cant do any worse with a slug gun, i just bought the slug gun and figured that its so think and its not open fields that the slug gun would do just fine, i do like using the rifle though but i just don't like how the bullet goes through the deer everytime
Old 10-30-2004, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

I like the slugs for thicker cover! It seems to take a bit more to nock them off course from what Ive seen.... When I rifle hunt I use a Marlin 35. It also is a pretty good brush buster!....Good luck!
Old 10-31-2004, 01:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Uncle, Not trying to be a idiot,but My slug gun anyway puts holes in the deer like golf ball size on the exit. Blows lung material out on to trees. With a good rifled slug gun and the fast 2000 FPS slugs they put down deer better then my 30:06. Now I'm not talking 200 yArds.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:46 AM
Fork Horn

45/70 ..
Old 10-31-2004, 05:27 AM

With the .244/6mm you'll put the deer down with a shot through the shoulder, but heart/lung shot deer are going to run aways before going down. The 12ga. slug is compatiable with the 69cal. musket round.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Ib would us my 444 marlin

Quick Reply: Slug guns vs. Rifle for deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.