HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Gutting techniques (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/77362-gutting-techniques.html)

metalback 10-29-2004 11:55 AM

Gutting techniques

First off I'd like to thank the folks responciple for this site!!! If I can't be out in the field, this is the spot to be to learn all different types of hunting and ways of hunting!!! I thought maybe a good place for the beginner to start would be to learn how to properly field dress the game after it was downed. I've seen deer hung by trees, tree stands, tree lounges, barns, fences, vehicles, ect.. Now comes the fun part----getting bloody....:) So come on fellow hunters, let the new guys know your sure fire, quickest, cleanest, easiest, way of taking care of their kill as soon as it's downed!!!! Have a great hunting season all, I know I sure am!!! Think this is going to be a bow season to remember!!!....:)

timbercruiser 10-29-2004 01:19 PM

RE: Gutting techniques

We carry all of our deer to the skinning shed. Concrete slab with water, single tree, winch and a rail slide right in the cooler. We hang all of our deer by the back legs. I take a gut hook and open the deer all the way from below the anus to the base of the neck, then locate the white cartilege tab at the diaphram and work your knife blade in behing it and open up the chest cavity all the way down. Then take your knife and cut around the anus in deep so when you open up the belly you won't have any trouble getting the bladder etc loose. After opening up the belly, being careful of the guts, pull everything down into a tub, cut around the diaphram and take all of the guts, lungs etc into the tub and cut all off as high in the neck area as you can. Wash the deer out good with water and either skin it or push it into the cooler.
The gut hook eliminates most of the loose hair problem. I try to avoid getting my knife into the tarsals of the deer and usually start skinning below them.

skeeter 7MM 10-29-2004 03:34 PM

I FD my game. First get the animal on its back, then place legs outside mine, by bending and flexing out my knees I can spread them apart for more room. I start low - on female at the milk bag cut away to the the ham and remove, male I loosen the sex organs (don't remove though), then expose the ham. I pull the belly fat out and away from the guts take my knife upside down and angled back and run up to the brisket. If mounting I will stop here, if not I then skin out the brisket area & saw for more room(in this method I expose the trach and cut as high as possible). I then split the pelvis with a sagen saw and gently push the legs outward to spread the pelvic opening. I will then release the diaphragm. I simply grab the trach and pull straight down and out the pelvic opening, everthing will usually come out in one heap, if not I help it along in the stomach, bladder, etc. Once outside I release the anus by cuting down to tail and drain the cavity. Here we must suffix a meat, hide and in either sex/male tag a additonal antler seal to the harvested animal. I knotch my tags date/month, attach the hide seal to the brisket flap and antler seal. I place the meat seal in the tarsal or scent gland region, using a seperate knife or if done hunting I will use the same knife I remove scent glands and attach my meat seal. If available I will place snow in the cavity for the drag and prior to loading in the truck dump this from the inner cavity. If hunting more and early I will remove the flaps to help with cooling in the stomach area and prop the brisket open with a stick or similar. I will also keep the inner hams seperated some as well for travel, but not open to protect from dirt, etc.

Once home I hang with hock up, skin with a clean knife and wipe down the carcass to remove hairs from the skinning process. If bladder, popper or guts where affected in anyway I wash with clean water ASAP to ensure no taint to the exposed meat. I always wash down the inside with cool water and let drain, due to the snow method, dragging, etc. I like my carcass to be spic and span clean when finished.

smokyghost 10-29-2004 04:16 PM

the way I FD a deer is easy depending on if I have help or not. I usually hunt at night so I have a light that you put around your head and you can adjust the light where you want it. If I'm by myself I lay the deer on its back and then sit on the deer with its legs under mine with my back facing the front of the deer. The tail area will face straight up at ya. Then I core the deer out, I usually core until about 8 or 10 inches of the Tube is out. once that is done I get up and find the bottom or rib cage. I usually saw threw the hair until I can get the tip of knife under the skin. then I work downward to the groin area if its a buck I then discard him of his jewels ( poor fella ). or doe... (watch that area cuz of the bladder). Then I go back up and split the briskit so I can cut the vitals out. reach up as far as ya can. then I just grab a heap of warm bloody mess and yank it right out. double check the groin area and then load him or her up. then when I get home I hold the deer up and get the ol lady to flush the deer out with a water hose. then I put in freezer for about a week, then off to the butcher.. You do it the first time the second time will be a breeze.

Deerslayer_37 10-29-2004 06:48 PM

I FD my deer. i start with cutting away the sex organs or the milk bag first. i do not remove the testicles until i pull out evertyhing. i then cut away the hide up the brisket. next, i open up the cavity, pulling the guts out..i cut the diaphragm and remove the windpipe, lungs, and heart. then i saw the pelvic bone, and flip the deer on its belly to let all the blood and stuff drain out..we hang our deer head first..we take the hide off the same night we shoot them as it comes off alot easier when you do it that day..

slayer

metalback 10-30-2004 04:47 AM

These techniques ought to get the young and brand new hunters on the right directions to processing their venison so that they get the very best meat possible....:) I know that at least for me, I have a hard time getting my wife to try any kind of wild game(always wondered why women are that way, but I sure get alot of good eats that way...:)) Field dressing your game properly eliminates most all of the wild taste(also depends on what they have been eating/ corn, oats, sage(especially sage)and makes for a real pleasant meal---I love any kind of wild game. The only thing I can add to any of this is I always carry some dry line (string) and tie a tight knot around the anus and penis of the buck. Takes 2 seconds and eliminates any spills at the wrong time....:) I have a question about the numerous tags you have to attach in Canada. What is a meat and antler seal? We have to tag our animals here in the states but not adhear numerous tags to the animal. What are they for? Have a good one folks I'm off to the Elks tonight for a special order Montana Elk backstrap dinner. Something a guy doesn't get here in Arkansas very often. I sure miss the good old days of backpacking into the Gore Range for my elk each year in Colorado,,,,,those were the good old days...........

zrexpilot 10-31-2004 04:07 PM

I started cleaning my deer a different way this year. I took a doe and I didnt gut or even skin it, I cut all four legs off it, the neck and removed the back strap, that was it, didnt gut it or anything. The only thing I lost were the ribs and the tiny tenderloin, the ribs arent that great anyhow. I just might keep doing it this way.

P.S. no I wasnt part of Rangers hunting party LOL
I took the doe with my bow. That is in season here in texas LOL.

skeeter 7MM 10-31-2004 10:53 PM

I have a question about the numerous tags you have to attach in Canada. What is a meat and antler seal? We have to tag our animals here in the states but not adhear numerous tags to the animal. What are they for?
Metalback this is a Saskatchewan regulation not canadian. We have always had to attach a tag to the meat and seperate tag to the hide of the harvested animal. This year in either or male only season they have included a antler seal that is to be suffixed to the head gear as well. Tags are really a license to possess the animal or contents of the animal. The animals are viewed as state property and to have any portion of a once live animal is only lawful with a valid tag or a special permit from the DNR(ie: car hit or found dead)

Meat seal is a tag that is to be left on the carcass of the animal (post skinning). It is to remain with the meat for commericial processing as a record of a legally harvested animal. It is so if checked a processor can show that meat was taken lawfully by a hunter. Here very few processor will take an animal that is not field dressed an skinned, so the meat seal is with the portion being processed not on the hide or antlers.

Hide Seal is a tag to be attached and left on the hide post skinning. Again just a record that the animal was taken legally.

Antler seal is to be attached to a Male's antlers. Same as above

The reason is in many cases meat, hides and antlers are transported or stored seperately. In the case of Moose and Elk in the forest the hides can be legally left due to weight, etc. In this case a tag must be attached and left with the hide so in the event it is found it can be recorded as a legal kill not illegal.

metalback 11-01-2004 04:19 AM

Thanks Skeeter that was pretty interesting. Another question about your gutting of deer....don't you have to leave some kind of evidence of sex on your does? Or the head? Here, it's fine to quarter them up, and I've done it with elk, but we have to leave some evidence of sex. Have a great bow season!!! Sounds like you're well on the way all ready!!!

skeeter 7MM 11-01-2004 09:01 AM

metalback, one rear leg left attached(species) and some form of proof of sex must accompany the carcass. Deer the hides can not be left in the field so the hide rolled up is most common way or left on as few skin in the field. With bigger game such as moose or elk the head/antlers or lower jaw are most commonly kept by hunters. By way of the seperate seals or tags the DNR can cross reference carcass and hide to match up the harvests.