Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

You aren't a "hunter"

Old 10-27-2004, 07:02 PM

Default RE: You aren't a "hunter"

ARanger although i respect you as a poster to the board i think your full of BS. I think the army got you brainwashed son. Anyway I myself prefer the walk & stalk method but I wasn't taught by the Army, no sir, I was taught by Cree Indians. Chief Thats-tha-night-that-the-lights-went-out-in-georgia taught me how to wait for the deer to come under the tree and jump off of an over-hanging limb and kill them with a knife. But I do have an early moring/late afternoon spot that i strictly sit. i usually walk&stalk between 10 and 3.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:18 PM
Spike

Wow!!.....Are you wanting us to ask you for your autograph or something?

I respect your way of hunting, but your post "you aren't a hunter" is just a little bit derogatory. I have many friends in the military who are also hunters.

There is no right or wrong way of hunting. You are missing the whole part of what most people on this forum enjoy about it. Sure finding sign and tracking down where they are bedding, crossing, and feeding is a blast.
But there are so many other joys in hunting than just the kill. There is a joy in studying their patterns and finding exactly where they are going to be at what time, and being there when it happens. Some of us enjoy having different toys or "hunting gear" to try out, or show our buddies. Some people aren't as young and mobile as you. To define skill in hunting deer or any other animal is not what is the best one way. It's the joy of sitting in the stand and watching how nature takes place from sunup to sunset, Its about exploring God's beautiful country, for some It's about finding a great camping site and just getting away.

Me and mostly the people I hunt with have hunted different game and different terrain. There is different hunting methods for different game, seasons, and terrain.

If everybody hunted one way, would that really be fun?
Old 10-27-2004, 07:19 PM

Well I’m from PA and right now the woods are very pretty; the leaves are green, yellow, orange, and red. While this is some nice eye candy it would be almost impossible to 'hunt' a deer by your definition. You have a viewing radius of around 50 yards give or take depending on how tall the trees and the density of trees. In addition to the simple fact that there are leaves the leaves also contrast so much its hard to spot anything(today I seen a hunting walking up a trail, I spotted him about 50 yards away and as I left my spot and moved towards the road I totally lost sight of him. I was about 25 yards away from him before I could see him again and he was even wearing bright orange.. but then again orange blends in very well with the leaves). On top of that, it is fall. There are leaves all over the ground so no matter how quiet you try to be your going to make some noise.

Only Muzzleloader is currently in season but by the time rifle season rolls around there will be a few inches of snow on the ground. Hopefully not a whole lot though because any more than a few inches and walking becomes incredibly tedious. While you could ‘hunt’ in these conditions it would still be difficult with a view of up to maybe 100 yards.

When I picture Texas in my mind I imaging wide open plains with views of up to a few hundred yards. I can easily see how one could successfully do what you do in these conditions. People I hunt with have taken their share of deer while on the move but for the most part we all pick a spot and wait it out. A wolf doesn’t always stalk its prey, sometimes it simply lays in wait.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

I enjoy still hunting a lot; it's the main way I hunt. I also enjoy stump sitting in a gamy looking spot with lots of sign and trails. I do my share of rattling and if I've frozen my ass off in -30 Celsius for long enough I'll go for a little drive or just park on a hill looking for game while I warm up. It's all relevant.

I agree that people get sold on ideas that just aren't true. They end up decked out in expensive camo up in a tree (nothing wrong with that; it's just not my thing) when they could easily be out still hunting. I've stalked game in bush so dense it was thicker than pea soup and I've stalked game walking on snow so crunchy it seemed deafening. It works in less than ideal situations.

If you've been told (or sold on the idea) that tree stands are the only way to hunt then I'd suggest going for a "walk" through the bushes and see what you can find; you might be pleasantly surprised. I have nothing against tree stand hunting but I've always seen the most game when I'm on the move so I strongly suggest giving it a try if you haven't already. And if you want/need to hunt from a tree stand that's fine; just don't shoot me if I walk by .
Old 10-27-2004, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

Wow thats and interesting post.Buddy I have done what you did plenty of times during rifle season and have even tried it during bow, but to say sitting in a stand that you have scouted out is not the measure of a real hunter thats BS.Furthermore You wrote that you were on your father in laws property,let me guess is it fenced by chance?If it isn't than sorry, if it is than IMO your no hunter either.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:11 PM

First off let me appoligise if I have offended anyone....
Next, I think I should clear up a few misconseptions.

I've hunted all over this country...from CA to NJ. I Just recently came home to Texas

I don't know were most of you got your information on Texas but I have yet to see any OPEN planes...this isn't planes country. East Texas is more rugged than most any part of the country, ask anyone who has ever been here. The trees are thicker and the leaves are just as dry. Not to mention the manditory scrub and bramble.

Next: I learned a lot while in the Army, mostly during and after Ranger training, but I learned the most from a man named Tom Brown Jr. Type his name into any search engine and you'll know who I'm talking about. He gave a 6 week survivle and tracking course to my unit. He's regarded by most as a master tracker. he got skills.

And as far as the gentleman from PA goes...all those leaves on the ground just make it easer to find what you are looking for...once you know how to look. And as far as being silent while moving through them...anyone who has even the slightest skill as a stalker will tell you that it's in how you step and stand....it's not imposible....slow going, but not impossible.

SSG Martin
Old 10-27-2004, 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: trac209

Wow thats and interesting post.Buddy I have done what you did plenty of times during rifle season and have even tried it during bow, but to say sitting in a stand that you have scouted out is not the measure of a real hunter thats BS.Furthermore You wrote that you were on your father in laws property,let me guess is it fenced by chance?If it isn't than sorry, if it is than IMO your no hunter either.
Actually it has a short worn out 100 year ol bob wire fence kind of around it...the critters around here tend not to be bothered to much with it or others like it for that matter.

SSG Martin
Old 10-27-2004, 08:54 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

That wouldn't work right now here in VA. you can't move two feet without making a hell of a noise on all these damn leaves. Let the snow fall, and I'll be moving around thru the woods myself. But without the snow? nope.....if I do get tired of being in the stand, It'll have to be walk a few feet, stand there for 10 minutes.....walk another couple feet...wait 10. I've never been to texas, so I don't know what it's like there.

David
Old 10-27-2004, 09:01 PM

ORIGINAL: dpv

That wouldn't work right now here in VA. you can't move two feet without making a hell of a noise on all these damn leaves. Let the snow fall, and I'll be moving around thru the woods myself. But without the snow? nope.....if I do get tired of being in the stand, It'll have to be walk a few feet, stand there for 10 minutes.....walk another couple feet...wait 10. I've never been to texas, so I don't know what it's like there.

David
I was stationed at Ft. Bragg for a while and I've hunted VA. it's beautiful there. I know it's hard but it can be done. Even though it's cold try walking in your socks. Let your feet make contact with the ground. Step on your toes first and slowly lower your foot onto the knife edge and then flat. You should know by the texture that you feel on your feet what kind of sound you'll make before you make it giving you the chance to adjust before you commit the weight.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:04 PM
Inactive

AR:

I have hunted with a "Ranger" for a number of years. I know what your talking about and can appreciate your skills!!! This guy would walk beside me and then all of a sudden - disapear! He could track till hail wouldn't have it!!

Giventhat - there aren't a lot of folks around who have had your opportunities and instructions. It's to bad because they (or some) could surely benefit from the experience!!

I like to ground hunt as well, either sit by a rail fence or get out and stalk - but to each his own!!

Wish you the best of luck in hunting -

Canuck Deer Hunter!!!

Quick Reply: You aren't a "hunter"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.