Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wounded deer in my backyard

Old 10-26-2004, 06:44 PM

Default Wounded deer in my backyard

Hey all
The rut is really getting started here in Green Bay and there were quite a few small bucks chasing does and other bucks around in my backyard this afternoon. As i was watching the deer and wondering how the spikes and forks had such big bodies(maybe bad genes?) I saw a deer that was limping really bad. I grabbed the binocs and sure enough it was a yearling and it wasn't using it's right front leg at all. I couldn't believe that someone would shoot a deer as small as that, because there was an adult doe that was obviously its mother with it. It isn't even earn-a-buck anywhere near here. I was just wondering if a deer could recover from this kind of injury, or should i try and get out there and finish it off. I dont usually hunt in my backyard, but i could probably get the neighbors' o.k.s What do you think?
Old 10-26-2004, 06:53 PM

Default RE: Wounded deer in my backyard

That's too bad. I was told that especially in the north where there is a lot of snow, a front leg injury is pretty serious since it impedes the deer's ability to paw the ground and find food under the snow.
Nobody can tell for sure if the deer will make it but given the climate where you are and the number of coyotes, I think I would consider killing him.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

I would let him be,that leg should heal up ok.I have seen deer that have had a leg injury recover.Also I saw a doe once that could run like the rest though she only had three legs.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've had a deer in my backyard for over a year now that has a limp(back leg) but it doesn't use it at all. It was most likely from a car accident since it first surfaced when no seasons were in. Deer are very resiliant animals, having one bum leg ain't cause to try and kill it. Yes it looks sad, but it'll be fine.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Did you see a bullet wound?

I have seen several deer around here limping, but most of them were not from shots. Usually from playing and stepping in a hole, jumping a fence and landing wrong, or getting hit by a car.

I saw a really nice 12 pt. last year that had a bad limp in the front leg. He still has a little limp, but hardly noticeable unless you pay close attention.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hopefully it will survive
Old 10-27-2004, 06:13 AM

here is what happened to me last year. I was in my pop-up blind second day of gun season around 8:30. I heard a noise behind my blind. look out of the right side of the blind and saw a coyote. Did not want to shoot because it was early and did not want to scare everything in the woods. He trotted away. still heard leaves wrustling behind me. 2nd coyote came around the right side. he took off to the left going behind the blind. Still heard noises in the leaves behind me. to my right side a doe walked up and had a bkoken back right leg and a cracked front right leg (hit by a car). eventually she goes behind me and then to my left side about 20 yrds away and lays down. the coyotes just about had her worn out. i shot her out of feeling sorry for her being hurt and i knew she wouldnt make it.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:35 AM

ORIGINAL: KUHNOHIO

here is what happened to me last year. I was in my pop-up blind second day of gun season around 8:30. I heard a noise behind my blind. look out of the right side of the blind and saw a coyote. Did not want to shoot because it was early and did not want to scare everything in the woods. He trotted away. still heard leaves wrustling behind me. 2nd coyote came around the right side. he took off to the left going behind the blind. Still heard noises in the leaves behind me. to my right side a doe walked up and had a bkoken back right leg and a cracked front right leg (hit by a car). eventually she goes behind me and then to my left side about 20 yrds away and lays down. the coyotes just about had her worn out. i shot her out of feeling sorry for her being hurt and i knew she wouldnt make it.
You did right buddy