Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What's the hottest stock load for an 870 rifled slug barell? >

What's the hottest stock load for an 870 rifled slug barell?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's the hottest stock load for an 870 rifled slug barell?

Old 10-26-2004, 08:26 AM

Default What's the hottest stock load for an 870 rifled slug barell?

In either a 2 3/4 or 3" mag. I'd just like to hear what you guys think. Most accuracy and best fps. I know that you need to shoot each gun with it's own ammo to verify, but thought I'd hit you up to get it narrowed down to a couple before I go and buy 6 different boxes of ammo and figure it out.

Thanks
Old 10-26-2004, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What's the hottest stock load for an 870 rifled slug barell?

Stumb_MN-Hunter... first of all, if you are planning to shoot that much I hope you have a vice to lock that cannon into! I hunted with my 870 for several years and I can tell you that after about 3 shots at the range I was ready to quit. Kicks like a mule! Here are a few other things I can tell you that might help: 1) I found no reason to shoot the 3" mags. I got no difference in accuracy at the range, and the 2 3/4" have PLENTY enough knock-down power; 2) I preferred Winchester 2 3/4" sabots; 3) At the range, I was able to consistently get pie-plate size groups at 100 yards. Beyond that, the accuracy diminshed rapidly. A note about knock-down power: I loved this set-up primarily because it planted deer in their tracks every time, even when a shot was marginal. The shock-wave that 1 oz slug delivers is amazing---more than once, upon cleaning a deer I'd taken with it, the heart and lungs were just pulp. One time, I shot a buck from a high, steep angle and when I went to pick him up is spine was broken--and the slug hit nowhere close to the spine.
Good luck!
SC
Old 10-26-2004, 09:29 AM

Winchester Partition Gold 3" 2000 fps, 2 3/4 1900 fps
Reington Core Lokt Ultra Bonded Sabots 2 3/4 1900 fps

These are the 2 high powered slugs I have tried. I currently use the Partition Golds and I am accurate with them out to 200 yards. You cant beat that coming from a shotgun. They do pack a punch though and will leave your shoulder sore after a few shots.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:46 AM

tried all the "juiced" slugs for my H&R , and the lightfield EXP's worked best. When I used the partition golds of the platinums i'd always get two slugs out of 5 that were off. 3" groups @100 yds with the lightfields. Dont see why ppl pay over $10 for 5 slugs just because of the FPS. My dad used the partition golds in his ithica featherweight and his thumbnail cut his nose form the recoil. Should tell you how they kick. My H&R weighs 11lbs so recoil doesnt bother me as much.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:11 AM

Kicks like a mule!
That's why I like this setup. I like the power and actually don't mind sighting the beast in. I've borrow my buddies guns(this setup) in years past and now I want to get my own. I've shot about 10 deer with it and like you've said....it does some major damage. I'm just trying to think about whether I want to spend the extra $$ and go SPS or just go with the Express setup. What would you do there??? SPS or Express?? I was thinking about putting a Red Dot on this bad boy. Any other ideas for scopes?
Old 10-26-2004, 10:33 AM

All of the slugs mentioned are for rifled barrels. For what the SPS costs , I'd go with the express combo , you get the smooth Bore & rifled barrels , plus IMO the 3 1/2 " is overdoing it. More for Turkey than deer.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just what lefty said,I love them ,the kick butt
Old 10-26-2004, 10:56 AM

I hear what your sayin slugman. I'm pretty sure you can get the SPS in 3". Not only 3 1/2, but I could be mistaken. I think I'm rolling with the Express setup now. Maybe even a combo if I can find one.

Now how about scopes? My buddies guns have red dots on them and I like the concept and setup, but what do you other guys use?? Anything to suggest?
Old 10-26-2004, 11:24 AM

I have a bushnell sportsman on my H&R and havent had any problems. You cant beat the express combo for the price , and you'll have a shotgun that can be used for hunting almost anything with both barrels
Old 10-26-2004, 12:43 PM

Winchester Partition Gold 3" 2000 fps, 2 3/4 1900 fps
Reington Core Lokt Ultra Bonded Sabots 2 3/4 1900 fps
Stump_MN_Hunter,

I used the Winchester Partiion Gold 2 3/4" for years with amazing results. I've never needed more than one shot to put a deer on its back. I've recently switched to a somewhat slower Remington 2 3/4" (Premium Copper Solid), just because it's not quite as punishing at the range and give's me a little more longer range accuracy. Either one will do a good job for you.

I've got a Bushnell 1.5 X 4.5 power scope on my Remington 870 and it works great. Even though it's not designed for a shotgun, I've never had a problem with it.

Quick Reply: What's the hottest stock load for an 870 rifled slug barell?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.