Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's the hottest stock load for an 870 rifled slug barell?

Old 10-26-2004, 02:20 PM

Default RE: What's the hottest stock load for an 870 rifled slug barell?

Well fellas...I pulled the trigger at lunch time. I got a all black synthetic Rem 870 combo. 28" bird barell, rifled slug barell with a cantilever scope mount, sling, quick release sling mounts for the gun, 1.5x4.5x32mm Bushnell scope, scope rings and flip up scope lense flaps. She's all bore sighted and ready for me to dial it in this weekend. Dang am I excited! Kind of hurt the pocket book..about $600 out the door, but oh well. This gun should last me atleast 20 years. So that's only $30/year. lol Not bad. ha, ha

I went with Winchester Partiion Gold 2 3/4" to see how they shoot out of it.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:44 PM

Default RE: What's the hottest stock load for an 870 rifled slug barell?

Tips for the partition gold rounds:

Find a way to get a sandbag btw your shoulder and the gun (I know it screws up your sight picture a little, but I still have good results) unless your can take the feel of a .338 Win Mag recoil (they might even kick more than that)

They kick HARD, but are very accurate thru my gun (Winchester 1300 pump 12 ga. w/Bushnell)

Put blue loctite on scope mounting screws, my mounting screws rattled loose 2X last year

Unlike most people, my flinch gets less after about 3 shots (don't know why, I guess I realize its not as bad as my mind makes it out to be)

never felt the kick when shooting in a hunting situation (which is normal)

always heard good things about lightfields if you don't care about the extra power