Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Preventing "Blood shock"

Old 10-23-2004, 10:25 PM

Default Preventing "Blood shock"

I am new to this and logically it seems that a quick kill is the best way to prevent blood shock. Biology is not a chessgame though, so I wonder what else should be done to help keep the venison from getting "gamey".
Old 10-24-2004, 12:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Preventing "Blood shock"

Some wont agree with me,but I dont let it age ( rot).Skin is off within hours and the cutting starts and in the freezer that night,
Old 10-24-2004, 01:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I agree that aging is not required for game. That said if in the right conditions I don't think causes any "gamey" flavour to the meat either.

For me the keys are as follows:
Clean harvest
FD ASAP (if gut, bladder, poop shoot is effected wash immediately)
Remove everything include the esophagus.
Remove and or wash out any debris that may have resulted after FDing.
Cool the entire carcass (which means hide off and ice/cooler or if temp allow hang)
Split the pelvic bone and ensure the hams are not touching. I also split the brisket just to allow for faster cooling.
I wipe down the carcass to remove hairs from skinning.
Debone the meat not saw!
Remove fat, silver skin, etc
When it's time to freeze try and lay it out in your freezer so it becomes solid and not partial.

If you use a butcher or processor the meat will be froze but ensure it is thoroughly frozen before stacking in your freezer.

Keep it clean, cool it, trim it and don't over cook it (remember it is extremely lean and lacks moisture of domestic animals in way of fat!).
Old 10-24-2004, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

Great tips Skeeter!
Old 10-24-2004, 10:10 AM

ORIGINAL: cardeer

Some wont agree with me,but I dont let it age ( rot).Skin is off within hours and the cutting starts and in the freezer that night,
I do the same thing I find that immediate skinning and cutting and freezing the meat is a lot less gamey as opposed to ageing.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:54 PM

What does "blood shock" mean?
Old 10-25-2004, 03:48 PM

I have read in a bunch of places that the worst case scenario would be to accidentally shoot a deer through the guts, follow its' blood trail a long way and then finally find where it has died. Due to the long run and trauma, the venison will suffer from "blood shock" and the taste will be poor. It has to do with hormones, chemicals, etcetera that were stirred up by a long run and a slow death.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Animals that are gutshot should not be pushed and will freeze up once they lay down. Most times they will not go far if left but if pushed will run great disatnces. Now while it is a double edge sword due to the guts, etc being introduced to the meat, it is a much better thing than chasing them all over hells acre. Being a bow hunter I have learned the importance of giving time before giving up chase, it has spilled over to all my hunting regardless of the equipment used. If unsure of the shot or wound relax your track, if you track do it slowly and quietly. Listen and pan, IME even poorly hit deer will not travel to far if the internals are distrubed and left to "stiffen". Push and bump them be prepared to be at it for awhile!

Once you retrieve these type of hit animals, gut immediately and wash thoroughly with clean water. If need be trim areas that smell or were heavily affected - ie: inner hams upon gutting. It ain't ideal or pretty but it can be salvaged in most cases.