Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ATTN: Shotgun Hunters

Old 10-24-2004, 08:10 PM

Default RE: ATTN: Shotgun Hunters

I think you guys were a little too quick to jump on him. i mean, how do you know how much practicing the kid put in? too quick to criticize for not having any info. davidhardegree-good luck tommorrow

slayer
Old 10-24-2004, 08:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Deerslayer_37

davidhardegree-good luck tommorrow

slayer
Funny thing really... All the contreversy and the guy didn't even hunt with me. This was yesterday.

I told him I would be at his house at 5:30am and would not knock or call and if he wasn't there by 5:45am I would go ahead and go. I waited until 5:50am and then left. After the morning hunt I went to check on him and his family to see everything was alright. He said he hooked his ipod to his surround sound and set it for 5:00am. However, he said he forgot that it was muted. Ipod, surround sound. I know what surround sound it because of the movie theater, but Ipod. Whatever happened to alarm clocks??? Apparently the Ipod holds 1500 songs that can be down loaded on it and can be programmed to play music at anytime. And get this, it's only the size of a credit card. How in the hell do you keep track of all those songs anyway?!? Oh well, I gave him a hard time because he could've killed his first deer on his first deer hunt. I had three does come up to about 20 yards of me.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:26 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I'll keep it as short as possible. Your original post said nothin about a borrowed shotgun and I don't know what the people who got bent out of shape were talking about. Someone else said something about two balls??? 00 buck 2 3/4 inch has 9 .32 caliber pellets of lead. 3 inch 00 buck has 15 .32 lead pellets. If the guy is familiar with the function of his shotgun at all he should have a pretty good chance of hitting his target out to 50 yards. A well aimed shot from a 12 guage at 50 yards would normally place several pellets in the deer. You aim for chest. Yeah there's some spread and you might have some meat loss but not as much as you might imagine. I havn't owned a hunting shotgun for years but since I live in a shotgun ownly county I sometimes take my mossberg 590 MilSpec shotgun out in the same area where I usually bow hunt. I figure if it comes within 30 yards It's mine. I coulid actually take a shot at 50 yards with a reasonable expectation of success but I like to be sure. Ok, I said I'd keep it short and I didn't . Take the guy out hunting. If you get a chance give him some pointers on ethics, etc. You have an opportunity to make a profound impact on the way this guy hunts in the future. For as long as he hunts, he will be thinking back to the things you tell and teach him. And what you teach him could be passed down to some other hunter in the future.

David
Old 10-25-2004, 09:35 PM

You should be applauded for taking someone hunting for the first time. There are alot of guys out there that dont want to be bothered with newcomers. So I think what you are doing is a very good thing. Keep up the good work. And hope you and your friend get a big one.

Old 10-25-2004, 09:45 PM

ORIGINAL: annieoakley

You should be applauded for taking someone hunting for the first time. There are alot of guys out there that dont want to be bothered with newcomers. So I think what you are doing is a very good thing. Keep up the good work. And hope you and your friend get a big one.

I totally agree go get em and good luck.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:19 PM
Fork Horn

To whoever it was that says you cannot pick up your hunting weapon a week before season,
sight it in , and hunt, I completely disagree. I could very easily pick up my shotgun 1 day
before season and make sure its "on", and go hunt. I`ve been shooting all my life and am
extremely comfortable with my weapon.
Now I do agree that this would not apply to a bow. I think archery is a totally different
deal and you need to keep shooting to keep the rust off.

BTW, I`m talking about shooting, not scouting.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:19 AM

the first thing you better do is take him or her out and practice with the gun. next you do not use buck shot for deer. go and buy some slugs. and practice with them so you know where your shots are going. you will have a better time hunting if you know where your gun is shooting.have a good hunt.